XBox 360 - Old School Console Gaming

Yakk about life, death, taxes and how juicy that last steak was that you grilled
PLX
Executive

XBox 360 - Old School Console Gaming

Post by PLX »

So, I've always been a PC gamer.. Started off back in the day with a clock-doubled 486/66Mhz with 20Mb of ram playing Doom, Quake Arena, Starcraft, Descent, yadda, yadda... Upgraded to an Alienware system back in 2001.

Anyways.. A friend of mine gives me his old Xbox 360 with a bunch of games a while back. Tried to sell it, because I was never into console games.
I got bored last week and started playing GTA5 on the XBox and holy smokes :!: This game rocks!

Went down to my local game store and picked up Tetris Evolution so my wife and I can play two-person Tetris. I ordered Red Dead Redemption off the Amazon the other day..

What are some other good games for this 15-year-old console :?:
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Re: XBox 360 - Old School Console Gaming

Post by harddriver »

About 15 years ago my wife and I were at a friends house and their kids were playing Xbox I can't remember what game it might have been Call of Duty. I commented to my wife that the graphics were really good. She then buys me an Xbox for Christmas, it sits in the box and sits in the box and she complains I haven't played the game yet. I dig it out and set it up and start to play Call of Duty and there was just to many small details and actions to have to learn to do correctly to progress through the game that it actually became frustrating and I am a very patient person and you really have to devote alot of time learning all these little tips and tricks and I just could not sit there for hours on end honestly but I tried. My wife then started to complain I was spending too much time playing the X box game that she complained I wasn't using. :roll:

I then packed it all up and instructed my wife to donate the game to one of her more needy clients kids who would appreciate and play the game. I haven't touched one since PLX so I cannot comment one way or the other... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:45 pm About 15 years ago my wife and I were at a friends house and their kids were playing Xbox I can't remember what game it might have been Call of Duty. I commented to my wife that the graphics were really good. She then buys me an Xbox for Christmas, it sits in the box and sits in the box and she complains I haven't played the game yet. I dig it out and set it up and start to play Call of Duty and there was just to many small details and actions to have to learn to do correctly to progress through the game that it actually became frustrating and I am a very patient person and you really have to devote alot of time learning all these little tips and tricks and I just could not sit there for hours on end honestly but I tried. My wife then started to complain I was spending too much time playing the X box game that she complained I wasn't using. :roll:

I then packed it all up and instructed my wife to donate the game to one of her more needy clients kids who would appreciate and play the game. I haven't touched one since PLX so I cannot comment one way or the other... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I know exactly what you mean.. these games like Grand Theft Auto 5 are a bitch to learn :!:

:lol:

It took me several hours to figure out the damned controls, and then even more time to get familiar with them.
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

The modern games I never tried. As a kid I loved Donkey Kong, Kangaroo, Pac-Man, Centipede, Defender, etc. All the old vintage games rocked. If I could, I would have all of them and a bunch of kick ass pinball machines.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

RockyStar wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:31 pm The modern games I never tried. As a kid I loved Donkey Kong, Kangaroo, Pac-Man, Centipede, Defender, etc. All the old vintage games rocked. If I could, I would have all of them and a bunch of kick ass pinball machines.
OH SHIT :!:

Pac man.. they gotta have that for the XBox 360.

:D
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

So, I did some research on these consoles. The main killer of these 15-year-old devices is overheating. It's important to keep the interior heat sinks free of dust and debris.

Since they use forced air via dual case fans, a good deal of air gets pulled thru the unit - over time lots of particulate matter is stuck to surfaces due to electrostatic charges.

I opened this one up and thoroughly cleaned the interior. These pics were taken as I opened the case. As you can see, it wasn't too bad inside.

That's a "heat pipe" cooling system (copper tube). Neat :!:

PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

Been playin' the original RDR for about 4 days.. non-stop. :lol:

This game kicks ass :!:

lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

RockyStar wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:31 pm The modern games I never tried. As a kid I loved Donkey Kong, Kangaroo, Pac-Man, Centipede, Defender, etc. All the old vintage games rocked. If I could, I would have all of them and a bunch of kick ass pinball machines.
I could theoretically help you achieve this (the arcade games).

I use a program called MAME32 in conjunction with the actual ROMs from the old arcade cabinets. Got tens of thousands of them.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:43 am

I use a program called MAME32 in conjunction with the actual ROMs from the old arcade cabinets. Got tens of thousands of them.
+1

I found MAME32 years ago and was able to play all the old NES console games, arcade games from the 80's

Good times :!:
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

lll wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:43 am

How many rolls of quarters will I need?

:lol: