Anybody Else Into This?

Yakk about life, death, taxes and how juicy that last steak was that you grilled
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Anybody Else Into This?

Post by RockyStar »

harddriver
Grand Poobah

Re: Anybody Else Into This?

Post by harddriver »

I used to BMX race when I was a kid and took some nasty wrecks. I imagine wrecking on some of that mountain and MOAB terrain would kill me now.... :lol:

I was into off road Jeeping and Rockcrawling for alot of years out west... The Rubicon trail in Cali, mountain trials of Colorado but I never jeeped in Moab Utah that was one place on my list to hit before I sold everything. Well I sold everything a couple of years ago and never hit the mighty Moab but I did have alot of fun building rigs and trailing them for 20+ years.

Do you have one of those expensive mountain bikes with the full dirt bike like suspensions?
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

This is what happens when you fuck up on Big Bear Pass trail in Colorado... there are no guardrails.
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

harddriver wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:48 am I used to BMX race when I was a kid and took some nasty wrecks. I imagine wrecking on some of that mountain and MOAB terrain would kill me now.... :lol:

I was into off road Jeeping and Rockcrawling for alot of years out west... The Rubicon trail in Cali, mountain trials of Colorado but I never jeeped in Moab Utah that was one place on my list to hit before I sold everything. Well I sold everything a couple of years ago and never hit the mighty Moab but I did have alot of fun building rigs and trailing them for 20+ years.

Do you have one of those expensive mountain bikes with the full dirt bike like suspensions?
Yes, I have a full suspension, disc brakes, blah x 3 bike. You couldn't do that type of riding without it and be remotely comfortable. The full suspension is great for when you need it but that kind of bike is not the best (IMO) for street riding or just goofing around, etc. I usually lock out my suspension for regular riding. I would like to get a 29er for goofing around.
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

harddriver wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:52 am This is what happens when you fuck up on Big Bear Pass trail in Colorado... there are no guardrails.
OUCH
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

Not with bicycles.. motorcycles.

When we were kids, my dad was a salesman for Spring Branch Honda in Houston. He got massive discounts on buying Honda products.
My brother and I both had dirt bikes, and used to trail ride in the national forest near Coldspring, TX.

I did some motocross racing when I was a teen.
Findthetone1
Office Gopher

Post by Findthetone1 »

I was the tail end of the original BMX generation so I raced several years on a team. I started mountain biking around 2006 and did it for about 5 years then mine and my buddies job's kept us from being able to ride consistently. He's younger than me and got married, kid's etc. Two years ago another buddy started getting into it so I went out a few times, realized I really want a more comforatble bike so I dropped the coin on a SCOTT Genius. Loved 27.5 on a F/S bike. The second time out on it with my buddy he ended up being carted off in an squad. Despite him saying he was going to continue riding, his bike is still in my basement. I went out a few times on my own but I really don't think it's the safest thing to do and don't know anyone else that rides so I sold my SCOTT a few months ago. At this point in my life the risk/reward doesn't balance out. My buddy was laid up for 3 months. I can't take that kind of financial hit. Besides, it's a 45 minute drive from my house to any trailhead around here so...it was fun while it lasted.
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

PLX wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:28 pm Not with bicycles.. motorcycles.

When we were kids, my dad was a salesman for Spring Branch Honda in Houston. He got massive discounts on buying Honda products.
My brother and I both had dirt bikes, and used to trail ride in the national forest near Coldspring, TX.

I did some motocross racing when I was a teen.
Motocross is awesome. I have been riding/racing most of my life. My uncle raced with Hannah, Glover, Ward, etc. He still races in the Legends class and is almost 70 years old. When he races local he races in various classes in addition to the Vintage Bike class. Often times they have to wait for him to get to the starting line with a different bike from the race he just rode in. He does back to back or even back to back to back motos often times and still beats the young talent in many cases. The only thing I have noticed different about him over the years is his initial fear to jump doubles or triples, etc the first time when he gets to a track. Once he does it all fear is gone again like it always used to be. He is a freak of nature.
CoolGuitarGear
Team Leader

Post by CoolGuitarGear »

I like Gojira stuff that involves singing (later stuff I guess) vs. the growling. As for mountain biking, looks like fun, but I'm too old for that shit.
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

CoolGuitarGear wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:50 pm I like Gojira stuff that involves singing (later stuff I guess) vs. the growling. As for mountain biking, looks like fun, but I'm too old for that shit.
The last couple of Gojira records have been less busy and more tame (so to speak) compared to their earlier stuff.

You are never too old!