NAMM SHOW

Yakk about life, death, taxes and how juicy that last steak was that you grilled
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

NAMM SHOW

Post by RockyStar »

I was discussing this topic with a few folks and thought I would post up here and get your thoughts as well.

My opinion is that NAMM is a waste of time in this day and age. The trade show model of years gone by is not the ideal model for business today. It is very expensive to do NAMM and get your products there, staff, down time on production, travel, hotel, food, rental cars, etc. Is the juice really worth the squeeze?

How much "business" is really done at NAMM?

Could a company survive without NAMM?

Did the internet and social media have an effect on the trade shows?

Discuss
Watson503
Middle Manager

Re: NAMM SHOW

Post by Watson503 »

I can't even imagine how it is to be there now - from the few videos I've seen out of this year's show, there are those douchebag "influencers" with their phones out bumping into anyone checking anything out and those types have ruined it in more ways than one. I used to dig seeing the new guitars and gear and would look forward to it for just that but now companies are releasing stuff throughout the year and online so that magic is gone.
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” - George Orwell

"Polyphia SUCKS!!!" - Ronald Reagan
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

Watson503 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:54 am
I can't even imagine how it is to be there now - from the few videos I've seen out of this year's show, there are those douchebag "influencers" with their phones out bumping into anyone checking anything out and those types have ruined it in more ways than one. I used to dig seeing the new guitars and gear and would look forward to it for just that but now companies are releasing stuff throughout the year and online so that magic is gone.
Agree 100% not to mention companies blast the hell out of products on social media, etc for a good while before anything ever hits the street. With things being backed up and a ton of things being on back-order it makes it even more obvious that it is a no win game. Companies now have their own site, forums (often times) and work the social media avenues so it isn't hard to get info and pics of what is coming down the pike and what is happening with the industry etc. The speed and scope of business has progressed dramatically beyond NAMM IMO.

Some will argue that the face to face is a vital component and I agree however there are multiple ways to face to face and if you really need to do an in person you can do so without the added costs of everything NAMM. That is also what company reps are for, etc. I simply don't see it being the driving force it once was said to be at all.
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

I've never been to NAMM but have seen many YouTube vids of it.

I think on an overall biz scale it is necessary (not to mention overall humanity scale).

Even though the world is full of assholes, we still need to mingle in person.

Getting clients for your business is, ultimately, all about trust. And (assuming you're not a ripoff artist scumbag) in person is the best way to achieve this.

...Instead of this Meta VR bullshit being pushed by the Soulless One (Mark Fuckerberg).

Furthermore, nothing like seeing product in real life; the real thing. Versus a picture on the internet. Maybe not for everything (strings? guitar cords? meh), but for highly personal items like guitars, absolutely.

Whether or not a particular company going to NAMM is worth the $$$ they invest setting up shop on the grounds is another story and can only be determined by an individual (company) basis.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.