Best modeler for feel.

AXE FX, Kemper etc
Findthetone1
Office Gopher

Best modeler for feel.

Post by Findthetone1 »

I know it's an age old topic for modeling but I am considering going back to it. I am a home player (would get out again if the right opportunity popped up) and honestly am getting tired of chasing the tube amp/pedal thing. I currently have a Mini Jubilee and a bunch of pedals but honestly even in 5 watt mode it's probably too much to get it cooking so maybe modelers are the way to go. I cannot stand constant tweaking and have zero interest in deep editing so the more set and forget the better. But I really want decent feel. Would that be Kemper? And if yes, powered or non powered witha separate power amp?
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Re: Best modeler for feel.

Post by harddriver »

Sounds like you are alot like me... I don't want to have to read a mutiple page book to learn how to even start tweaking and adjusting parameters besided the normal amp adjustments. I't not that I can't...I just find it a waste of my time. I've tried the modeling thing a few times myself and kept coming back to amps the modelers just didn't do it for me.

Maybe check out a Friedman BEDeluxe pedal into an IR setup direct, it's simple and gets a great Marshall tone if Marshall is what you are after.

If you want multiple different amp models then you may have to go into the modeling world further. The Kempers have always sounded good but you are back to the tweaking parameters thing.
Findthetone1
Office Gopher

Post by Findthetone1 »

harddriver wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:08 am Sounds like you are alot like me... I don't want to have to read a mutiple page book to learn how to even start tweaking and adjusting parameters besided the normal amp adjustments. I't not that I can't...I just find it a waste of my time. I've tried the modeling thing a few times myself and kept coming back to amps the modelers just didn't do it for me.

Maybe check out a Friedman BEDeluxe pedal into an IR setup direct, it's simple and gets a great Marshall tone if Marshall is what you are after.

If you want multiple different amp models then you may have to go into the modeling world further. The Kempers have always sounded good but you are back to the tweaking parameters thing.
I have a BE-OD Deluxe and a DS pedal. I want a setup through a cab for around the house and I may delve into IRs eventually but its not needed. I also have a quilter MicroBlock 45 that I can use for power. I ran the BE into it and it sounded Ok but just seemed like it needed some type of amp/preamp between the pedal and the Microblock. It was missing dynamics.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

Check out the clips III has posted.... it's a BEOD deluxe into a 1966 Fender Deluxe Reverb amp into a Suhr reactive load line out from the Suhr feeds an IR response direct to the computer or you could take that direct line out signal and reamp it with another power amp for lower volume playing. It essentially a slave setup like EVH did.

Here's III clips....

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2078
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

Didn't line 6 come out with something? the Helix I think. I thought these were getting pretty good reviews, it has multiple amp models , cab models and they are pretty affordable.
Findthetone1
Office Gopher

Post by Findthetone1 »

harddriver wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:26 pm Check out the clips III has posted.... it's a BEOD deluxe into a 1966 Fender Deluxe Reverb amp into a Suhr reactive load line out from the Suhr feeds an IR response direct to the computer or you could take that direct line out signal and reamp it with another power amp for lower volume playing. It essentially a slave setup like EVH did.

Here's III clips....

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2078
Lol. I have a 65 DRRI too. I think I just need to work with what I have. I have had a Weber Mass Lite attenuator for ages but to be honest it's not all that and kind of bulky. Maybe I should look into a newer attenuator that also has IRs.
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

Hands down the Kemper. I fought this for years and regret not doing it sooner. I will always keep my amps but between the Axe and the Kemper it is Kemper hands down for me. You have tweaking capabilities that are far easier IF you want to tweak. If not, you can treat it like an amp and get a tone with a couple of knob tweaks in no time if you need to tweak at all. You can buy polished profiles / produced profiles that sound amazing and you can be done with it. Basically just plug and play. The stock profiles are great from Kemper so no need to ever buy anything if you don't wish to. There are some various approaches you can take that would cause me to suggest powered over non powered and vice versa. In keeping it simple, I would just get the powered unit and be done with it. You have headphone options as well with the Kemper so late night playing is fine and silent essentially.

I have both powered and non powered Kempers, the Kemper Kabs, Foot controllers, volume and expression pedals so I can talk to you on whatever level you wish.
Findthetone1
Office Gopher

Post by Findthetone1 »

RockyStar wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:29 pm Hands down the Kemper. I fought this for years and regret not doing it sooner. I will always keep my amps but between the Axe and the Kemper it is Kemper hands down for me. You have tweaking capabilities that are far easier IF you want to tweak. If not, you can treat it like an amp and get a tone with a couple of knob tweaks in no time if you need to tweak at all. You can buy polished profiles / produced profiles that sound amazing and you can be done with it. Basically just plug and play. The stock profiles are great from Kemper so no need to ever buy anything if you don't wish to. There are some various approaches you can take that would cause me to suggest powered over non powered and vice versa. In keeping it simple, I would just get the powered unit and be done with it. You have headphone options as well with the Kemper so late night playing is fine and silent essentially.

I have both powered and non powered Kempers, the Kemper Kabs, Foot controllers, volume and expression pedals so I can talk to you on whatever level you wish.
This helps a lot. Thanks brother!
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

Findthetone1 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:27 pm
RockyStar wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:29 pm Hands down the Kemper. I fought this for years and regret not doing it sooner. I will always keep my amps but between the Axe and the Kemper it is Kemper hands down for me. You have tweaking capabilities that are far easier IF you want to tweak. If not, you can treat it like an amp and get a tone with a couple of knob tweaks in no time if you need to tweak at all. You can buy polished profiles / produced profiles that sound amazing and you can be done with it. Basically just plug and play. The stock profiles are great from Kemper so no need to ever buy anything if you don't wish to. There are some various approaches you can take that would cause me to suggest powered over non powered and vice versa. In keeping it simple, I would just get the powered unit and be done with it. You have headphone options as well with the Kemper so late night playing is fine and silent essentially.

This helps a lot. Thanks brother!
Happy to help my friend.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

Have you checked out the Bluguitar Amp1 Iridium? it looks like it does Fender clean, Vintage and Classic Marshall and Modern High gain tones. IT seems to capture the punch and push of an actual high wattage tube amp to my ears. It utilizes some Nanotube technology, it seems like a simple plug and play solution to your interests in not tweaking parameters constantly. It a simple tube amp setup essentially with a loop and you set it up as you would any other real amp. The more I listen to the Iridium the more I am impressed.