harddriver
Grand Poobah

Re: Best modeler for feel.

Post by harddriver »

RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

The Iridium is cool and gives you your core sounds etc. It is nowhere as in depth as the Kemper or Axe FX and I am not sure the Amp1 has effects and the other capabilities with effects that the Kemper and Axe have. If you want nothing but a few amp tones and to keep things super simple it is a nice piece of gear for sure.
Findthetone1
Office Gopher

Post by Findthetone1 »

RockyStar wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:41 am The Iridium is cool and gives you your core sounds etc. It is nowhere as in depth as the Kemper or Axe FX and I am not sure the Amp1 has effects and the other capabilities with effects that the Kemper and Axe have. If you want nothing but a few amp tones and to keep things super simple it is a nice piece of gear for sure.
It's on my short list. I wish they could get the new unit with FX to market but it sounds like supply chain issues. I could Do the Iridium and use my Boss MS-3 and it would probably be a pretty cool set-up
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

Findthetone1 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:56 pm
RockyStar wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:41 am The Iridium is cool and gives you your core sounds etc. It is nowhere as in depth as the Kemper or Axe FX and I am not sure the Amp1 has effects and the other capabilities with effects that the Kemper and Axe have. If you want nothing but a few amp tones and to keep things super simple it is a nice piece of gear for sure.
It's on my short list. I wish they could get the new unit with FX to market but it sounds like supply chain issues. I could Do the Iridium and use my Boss MS-3 and it would probably be a pretty cool set-up
That would be a nice ride. Have you considered the HX Stomp?
Findthetone1
Office Gopher

Post by Findthetone1 »

RockyStar wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:07 pm
Yep. I like the compactness of the HX. I ran an HD500 through a DT25 combo and it seemed to last longer than most anything but even with the DT amp i eventually felt like I needed full tube again. That's what I want to avoid. So if the Kemper is the best for amp feel then I'd probably wait until I can get one.
I will add that whatever modeler it would be would be primarily used through my Bogner OS 2x12 or my Mojotone Canyon 1x12.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

Findthetone1 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:33 pm

Yep. I like the compactness of the HX. I ran an HD500 through a DT25 combo and it seemed to last longer than most anything but even with the DT amp i eventually felt like I needed full tube again. That's what I want to avoid. So if the Kemper is the best for amp feel then I'd probably wait until I can get one.
I will add that whatever modeler it would be would be primarily used through my Bogner OS 2x12 or my Mojotone Canyon 1x12.
If you want multiple amp models just to have for fun then Kemper probably is the way to go. The way I look at things is software has a finite life 5 maybe ten years tops and then poof it's done one day or having issues especially if their is no support for the product.

If you are happy with more of a hardware tool then the Iridium has 4 basics tones clean(fender tweed, twin, bandmaster), vintage(Marshall plexi, Tweed, classic(Marshall JCM800/Mesa Dual), modern(Engl and Diezel, Mesa) and all modes look like they can be tweaked pretty close to emulating different amps which is impressive at least to me. Marshall tones make me happy so the Iridium would probably work fine for me. If you like the idea of actual profiled amps then your right back to the Kemper which sounds fantastic but your back to the longevity of software issue again. I haven't heard of any complaints about Kemper crapping out so that it good feedback so far.

I just played my 68 plexi w/d/w setup over New Years weekend and it was alot of fun, I just love the tone and setup. I'm too spoiled to play in another sandbox...................... :lol: :lol:
Findthetone1
Office Gopher

Post by Findthetone1 »

harddriver wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:24 pm
Findthetone1 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:33 pm

If you want multiple amp models just to have for fun then Kemper probably is the way to go. The way I look at things is software has a finite life 5 maybe ten years tops and then poof it's done one day or having issues especially if their is no support for the product.

If you are happy with more of a hardware tool then the Iridium has 4 basics tones clean(fender tweed, twin, bandmaster), vintage(Marshall plexi, Tweed, classic(Marshall JCM800/Mesa Dual), modern(Engl and Diezel, Mesa) and all modes look like they can be tweaked pretty close to emulating different amps which is impressive at least to me. Marshall tones make me happy so the Iridium would probably work fine for me. If you like the idea of actual profiled amps then your right back to the Kemper which sounds fantastic but your back to the longevity of software issue again. I haven't heard of any complaints about Kemper crapping out so that it good feedback so far.

I just played my 68 plexi w/d/w setup over New Years weekend and it was alot of fun, I just love the tone and setup. I'm too spoiled to play in another sandbox...................... :lol: :lol:
I really am a 4 or so tone guy and definitely in the Marshall camp. The only other profiles I’d be interested in Kemper wise would probably be a MKIIC+ and ADA MP-1. And that’s more nostalgic than anything so it’d probably be waisted money.
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

Tech running out of date is probably the biggest misconception about the Kemper and what actually separates it from all the other products out there. The capture/profile side is much different than emulation and modeling. Kemper is very hands on with support and updates/etc which is great but I don't see the tech of what is Kemper running out of legs like on some other products.

If you want super simple, get yourself a KSR Ceres or Vesta pre-amp pedal or something similar and you have your 3 or 4 core sounds.There are various products out there like that.

If you want a compact, amp like box that sounds great and gives you those few core tones than the Amp1 is a very nice unit. At one time I was strongly looking at the Iridium myself.