Kemper Profiles - What are They and Where Do I Start?

AXE FX, Kemper etc
Monkey Man
Office Gopher

Kemper Profiles - What are They and Where Do I Start?

Post by Monkey Man »

I thought this might help those who haven't looked at it this way, so here goes:

A Profile is a snapshot of an amp at any given setting. So far, so good; everyone knows this.

Here's something one mightn't have considered 'though:
Every Profiler, be he or she private or pro, possess his or her own idea of what sounds good. Whether it's an amp in a home studio or a full-on commercial setting, engineers and hobbyists tend to gravitate towards what they know works for them. The Profiles produced are simply snapshots of what they would've come up with when recording themselves or bands when mic'ing the various amps involved.

It therefore follows that just as you may have to record with a bunch of engineers before you arrive at one who shares your tastes, you'll likely have to audition Profiles from a bunch of vendors or hobbyists before you find someone who mic's and prepares amp tones the way you prefer. I suggest purchasing only from sources who share your sensibilities as to what sounds good, therefore. This'll increase the likelihood of being happy with the majority of Profiles in a pack bought from a given vendor. Often it's across the span of cleans through to metal, but it may just be for a certain driven range.

Make sense? You're not buying "amps", but rather, amp sounds as they were prepped for recording by a given party.

HTH
American computer (Mac), American DAW (DP), American audio & MIDI interfaces (MOTU), American guitars & basses, Kemper Rack, ROMplers
Monkey Man
Office Gopher

Re: Kemper Profiles - What are They?

Post by Monkey Man »

Following on from the OP:

I recommend taking advantage of the free Rig Packs built into Rig Manager as the best-possible start to that auditioning process. All the biggest vendors are represented and many peeps haven't had to look beyond these free offerings in order to satisfy their needs.

They're successful sellers for a reason - they obviously know how to dial amps in and mic them well; it's just a matter of whether or not their output jives with your sensibilities.
American computer (Mac), American DAW (DP), American audio & MIDI interfaces (MOTU), American guitars & basses, Kemper Rack, ROMplers
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Re: Kemper Profiles - What are They and Where Do I Start?

Post by RockyStar »

Nothing beats a great capture.