Ready To Leave (EQ matching + distillation)

lll
Middle Manager

Ready To Leave (EQ matching + distillation)

Post by lll »

Revisited this; had used FabFilter Q3 EQ matching (because let's face it, no way in hell is anyone going to get real close with Ronni's album tone just using their ears with an EQ; believe me, I've tried countless times).

It was close; this 1st attempt.

But, I used that EQ match (24 EQ points) as a template, and simplified it somewhat (built out my own EQ with points). It sounds even closer.

Tweaked the drums and bass a little too. Of course this is just a test, so not a full-on all-tracks tune test

Original tune:

EQMatch original (I have several points disabled):
EQmatch original.jpg
EQMatch distilled:
EQmatch distilled.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
PLX
Executive

Re: Ready To Leave (EQ matching + distillation)

Post by PLX »

In some ways, that tone sounds similar to Nuno Bettencourt's core tone over the years.

Very sculpted.

Sounds like you nailed it :!:
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

PLX wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:42 pm In some ways, that tone sounds similar to Nuno Bettencourt's core tone over the years.

Very sculpted.

Sounds like you nailed it :!:
Minus just a little warmth (I'd say low mids, although I haven't used my Audio-Technica ATH-R70x cans to listen and pinpoint yet).

Ronni's tone has an unusual bump in the low end with the peak apparently at 30Hz :!: . Usually this frequency is cut off with the hi-pass on the guitar.

Once again proving "if it sounds good, it is good"... even though it goes against the so-called "standards".
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

BTW this tone is tough to get close because AFAIK there is zero info on the studio except the name of the studio it was recorded at (over in Viking-land).

So, have no idea what studio equipment they used (except the obvious micropitch Eventide-ish sheen on top)... let alone what EQ, console or otherwise...
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

I had a couple of these guys albums back in the day! 10,000 lovers...............

His tone reminds me of early Adrian Vandenberg tone. I seem to remember Marshall and some type of Swedish Solid State amp that was popular over there, and then he wen to Peavey VTM I think.

Adrian mostly had that Schenker cocked wah tone going on on the first couple of Vandenberg albums.