Zakk Wylde before he started playing constant pinched harmonics...

Yakk about your gear
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Zakk Wylde before he started playing constant pinched harmonics...

Post by harddriver »

Ozzy No Rest for the Wicked Tour 1989. Zakk's playing was pretty good here, I still like Jake more but without the constant pinched harmonics it was actually really good to listen to.
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Re: Zakk Wylde before he started playing constant pinched harmonics...

Post by RockyStar »

Zakk is a monster player. Far better than I think he gets credit for. Great show!
Watson503
Middle Manager

Post by Watson503 »

That brings back memories...I was in high school at the time that tour took place and went primarily to see Anthrax open for Ozzy - I had always been a huge Ozzy fan but was really into thrash at the time and for some reason hadn't listened to anything other than whatever Z-Rock had played off the new album with Zakk. We had lower prom seats near Zakk's side of the stage - I'd never seen Zakk outside of a few pictures and here is this dude drunk as fuck but just ripping...Ozzy put on a great show, too, but I was really impressed with Zakk' and will never forget that show. The Pride And Glory stuff is just great, too.
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” - George Orwell

"Polyphia SUCKS!!!" - Ronald Reagan
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

I also thought his tone was really great too so let compare his to Jakes setup. Zakks tone has a little more clarity and bite which I like must be the EMG81/85 active pickups....

Jake E Lee: Fender Strat Seymour Duncan Holdsworth/JB> Boss OD-1>Boss Flanger>Boss Chorus>Marshall JCM800 100 watt/EL34's possibly 6550's >Marshall cabinets EVM12L's

Zakk Wylde: Gibson Les Paul EMG81/85>Boss SD-1>Boss CE chorus>Wah>Marshall JCM800 6550's>Marshall Cabinets EVM12L's

I tried some EVM12L speakers in the past and just was not able to drive them hard enough volumewise to where I really liked them over my Celestion 12H-30's, I wanted to like them...but I really did not... it was a cool experiment. Both Jake and Zakk have killer tone with them.
John 14:6
Recruit

Post by John 14:6 »

I tried to like it but Jake is by far my favorite Ozzy guitar player and one of the best ever. Ozzy lost me when Jake left and I was a HUGE fan of the Randy and Jake era Ozzy. There is not one song with Zakk that I care for and I never bought an Ozzy record after The Ultimate Sin. It just became generic Ozzy "brand" albums full of filler, even though some of them were very commercially successful. Momma I'm Coming Home, Crazy Babies and other stupid lameass stuff like that. Ozzy/Sharon dumped Jake because Jake wanted writing credit for the songs he wrote. Jake, Geoerge Lynch and Yngwie were THE GUYS back then and Ozzy and his greed walked away from playing with King Kong on guitar.

harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

Jake's my favorite as well but Zakk's early playing was pretty good and I can appreciate it.