Favorite Bass Players

Yakk about your gear
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Favorite Bass Players

Post by RockyStar »

Bass players get a lot of crap thrown their way, however, there are some great ones out there. Who are your 5 favorite bass players?

1. Alex Webster
2. Steve DiGiorgio
3. Billy Sheehan
4. Michael Rhodes
5. Jaco Pastorius
Watson503
Middle Manager

Re: Favorite Bass Players

Post by Watson503 »

Steve DiGiorgio
Geddy Lee
Jack Gibson
Lemmy Kilmister
Cliff Burton
Alex Webster

Really hard to pick six on this as I love Dave Jr, Steve Harris and a lot of others - and that's just metal-related...

DiGiorgio is just sick...I remember first hearing him on Autopsy's Severed Survival...love that album for the bass on it. Geddy - so many years spent listening to Rush as a kid and in high school the friends I hung-around with were huge Rush fans so nights spent at their houses partying or at band rehearsals were spent listening to old Rush. Jack Gibson...that mofo just lays it down with Tom - especially live - great metal bassist. Lemmy...'nuff said Cliff...I loved how he filled his role as bassist in Metallica, really love the music he gifted us with and his impact on the band was monumental. Alex Webster...talk about precision and he just slays.
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” - George Orwell

"Polyphia SUCKS!!!" - Ronald Reagan
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

No matter how long the list, There will always be somebody left out or unintentionally forgotten about. There are so many wonderful players out there specializing in so many various things.
Watson503
Middle Manager

Post by Watson503 »

Exactly! I was just sitting drinking my coffee and was thinking how I didn't even mention Rudy Sarzo or Daisley or Corey Duplechin - saw that dude play with Tab Benoit live a couple of years ago and he was great.
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” - George Orwell

"Polyphia SUCKS!!!" - Ronald Reagan
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

Rudy Sarzo may be the easiest to forget of the top players but certainly has been on a ton of quality records with various folks. Rudy is awesome! If we really thought about it we could list 50 in no time and still forget a bunch...lol.