EVH - Rhythm or Lead?

Yakk about your gear
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

EVH - Rhythm or Lead?

Post by RockyStar »

What can you say, Ed was great at both. His lead playing was probably more eye catching and captivating to most than his rhythm playing but as time has moved along (For Meeee!) :mrgreen: I have come to really respect and admire/appreciate his rhythm playing. I may go so far as to say he was a better rhythm player than he was a lead player but that is a choice I am constantly back and forth on. If you had to pick only one, which would it be?

Lead or Rhythm?

I am going with Rhythm
sytharnia NZ
Recruit

Re: EVH - Rhythm or Lead?

Post by sytharnia NZ »

Defo Rhythm for me ... his feel and "touch" are unmatched
Watson503
Middle Manager

Post by Watson503 »

Ed was just awesome all-around and it is a hard pick for me, he accomplished what few do but all players should strive for. I really can't pick a side on this one - hard choice, Rocky!
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” - George Orwell

"Polyphia SUCKS!!!" - Ronald Reagan
Findthetone1
Office Gopher

Post by Findthetone1 »

As a young teenager learning to play his leads were what wowed me. It was the 80s so the flashy leads were caught people's attention. As I grew as a person and player it was his rhythms that just started to floor me. The structure and feel (swing if you will) are so unique that I can't help but be amazed by them.
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

Watson503 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:27 pm Ed was just awesome all-around and it is a hard pick for me, he accomplished what few do but all players should strive for. I really can't pick a side on this one - hard choice, Rocky!
That's why I threw this out there. It really is a tough choice to make and gets you to really thinking and analyzing things which I think causes us all to appreciate him even more! (If that is possible)
Findthetone1
Office Gopher

Post by Findthetone1 »

RockyStar wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:44 pm
Watson503 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:27 pm Ed was just awesome all-around and it is a hard pick for me, he accomplished what few do but all players should strive for. I really can't pick a side on this one - hard choice, Rocky!
That's why I threw this out there. It really is a tough choice to make and gets you to really thinking and analyzing things which I think causes us all to appreciate him even more! (If that is possible)
In the end though, the rhythm makes the song and I've always felt a great song is what counts which is why I would lean towards his rhythm playing. Not discounting his amazing leads by any means. It really does prove just how special of a player he was.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

Both are in the realm of prodigy abilities that he had total innate controls over even at a young age. His sense of timing, swing, and the sense to play behind the beat was just uncanny to say the least....

I can't separate the two, while his lead abilities wowed you... his song writing and rhythm playing drew you in and kept you listening to the song leading up the lead solo's, outros and break downs. That is a high level composer wizardry IMHO............................ 8-)
Findthetone1
Office Gopher

Post by Findthetone1 »

harddriver wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:19 pm Both are in the realm of prodigy abilities that he had total innate controls over even at a young age. His sense of timing, swing, and the sense to play behind the beat was just uncanny to say the least....

I can't separate the two, while his lead abilities wowed you... his song writing and rhythm playing drew you in and kept you listening to the song leading up the lead solo's, outros and break downs. That is a high level composer wizardry IMHO............................ 8-)
Makes losing him so early even tougher. I take the loss of celebrities in stride as that is just how life works but 2020 took EVH and Neil Peart and I was not ready for those losses.
John 14:6
Recruit

Post by John 14:6 »

Rhythm.