Reasonable Luthier times

Yakk about your gear
Findthetone1
Office Gopher

Reasonable Luthier times

Post by Findthetone1 »

What would you guys consider a reasonable time frame for a luthier to have your guitar for a Project? I have a neck that is being re-radiused and re-fretted w/SS and then mounted to a new Warmoth body and setup.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Re: Reasonable Luthier times

Post by harddriver »

2-6 months at least with my luthier, the only thing good with my luthier is he quotes you an up front price that he has never gone over on but he usually is slow and always telling you he is almost done with it when he is obviously not. I hate having to ride people but the last thing I ever do now is tell him don't rush I'm not in a hurry because then you get put to the back of the line. Other than that the guy does amazing work and he is fair on pricing and always stick to his quotes.

Have you had work done in the past by this guy you are referring to in your post. I'd hate to have to use somebody new at this point but my guy might have taken the vaxxx and done himself I don't know. All my favorite guitars got refretted a few years ago and I don't play like I used to so I might be good until I check out of this world. :lol:
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

Timeframes can really vary depending on the workflow and job involved, etc. In your example, I would say 30 to 90 days.
Findthetone1
Office Gopher

Post by Findthetone1 »

It's 4 months today so I seem to be in the general window. He's really good and never overcharges so I don't really want to hassle him. I know he's got a pretty large workload and I don't want him to rush. I'm just excited to see how this thing turns out. :D
Watson503
Middle Manager

Post by Watson503 »

I concur with the above replies, especially in these times. I used to go to Neil Sargent in Houston for anything I didn't want to do myself, really good dude but my god, it seemed to take forever. I now use the guys over at Heights Guitar Tech and they've got it running like a well-oiled machine with great work and insanely fast turnarounds since they've got a few guys working there. The other day I was watching the local news and they said a Houston metro bus had gone off the road and hit a business in the Heights and sure enough, it was the damn shop...thankfully it wasn't damaged as the Coke machine out front took the brunt of the hit hahaha
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” - George Orwell

"Polyphia SUCKS!!!" - Ronald Reagan
Findthetone1
Office Gopher

Post by Findthetone1 »

He's pretty much a single man operation. I think he may have a guy for small jobs but the big stuff is all him and he does a lot of headstock breaks, neck resets etc. so I know his time is pretty filled.