Learning Resources

Yakk about your gear
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Learning Resources

Post by RockyStar »

What are some of the things you used to further your skill and education in guitar playing?

I figured listing things out here could maybe help people searching for solid ways to learn and grow as a player.
Watson503
Middle Manager

Re: Learning Resources

Post by Watson503 »

I've got a lot of stuff saved that I used to practice with and I'll post a few that hopefully someone can get something out of - there's so many good resources now online that is a far cry from when I got my frst guitar as a kid and that damn blue Mel Bay book haha There's a site called scalerator I like, it really helps with someone trying to learn scales and improvisation - I'll just start dropping some links:

You can change scales, tunings, etc from the options button to the right:
http://www.scalerator.com/

Interval workout:
http://philbguitar.blogspot.com/2012/01 ... rkout.html

Frank Gambale's Chop Builder (there were versions with tabs but they get pulled all the time, UG and Songster probably have them if needed):

Petrucci's Rock Discipline:
https://jimibanez.files.wordpress.com/2 ... pline1.pdf
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” - George Orwell

"Polyphia SUCKS!!!" - Ronald Reagan
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

Watson503
Middle Manager

Post by Watson503 »

I had stumbled on this a couple of years ago and recently started throwing it in my practice sessions again right after my warm-ups - as a kid learning piano, my teacher gave me an old copy of Hanon's The Virtuoso Pianist and one day I found this PDF I'll post below which someone might get some use out of. I find throwing this stuff in my practice routine to be fun which cracks me up now because I hated having to practice this shit as a kid playing piano:
Charles-Louis Hanon was a French piano pedagogue (developer of instruction methods) in the
19th century. In the 140 years since its initial publication, Hanon’s classic The Virtuoso Pianist in
60 Exercises is universally considered a key work in developing fundamental piano technique.
Hanon divided the exercises into three groups, with 1-20 considered “preparatory exercises.”
They are foundational in scope, intended to work on basic mechanical concepts such as finger
independence. It is these first twenty exercises that this book will focus on.
Years ago, as I was making that transition from “beginner” to “intermediate” player, I found
myself in search of fresh material for technical practice (which happens at all skill levels). Scales
and intervals had been very useful in that regard, up to that point, but I had reached a plateau.
Much like a kid in school who learns the test but doesn’t apply the knowledge they’ve studied, I
wasn’t finding ways to use those scales and intervals very effectively.
Most likely, I had come across an interview with some famous shredder or other who had
recommended using material geared toward other instruments (especially piano, violin, and
saxophone), which led me to the Hanon exercise folio, among other classical works. Sure
enough, it worked in several important ways.
First, each exercise is designed to run through the entire scale, one degree at a time, which
helps in learning and applying modal theory. Second, rather than running straight intervals or
scales up and back, these intervallic variations provide plenty of melodic material to use and
apply to your own playing. Third, the exercises are great for running through the circle of fifths
(or fourths). These are all powerful tools that will quickly improve fretboard knowledge and
navigation, all while building technique, theory, and melodic ability, without extra studying.
True shortcuts to advanced technique and knowledge are rare, but the Hanon exercises,
properly studied and applied, are exactly that – hundreds or even thousands of hours of
technique and knowledge in a relatively short period of time, and a useful part of any wellbalanced practice routine, no matter how advanced the skill level.
http://purpletigerguitar.com/wp-content ... ideOut.pdf
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” - George Orwell

"Polyphia SUCKS!!!" - Ronald Reagan