Unexpected Tone Discovery

Yakk about your gear
PLX
Executive

Unexpected Tone Discovery

Post by PLX »

So, I'm taking isolated guitar tracks from EVH, George Lynch, Nuno Bettencourt and inserting them into a track in my DAW. All of them are stereo tracks.. So I split them into two mono tracks and what do I see ?

The left track is the "actual" guitar track, and the right track is the reverb wash, and is a fraction of the volume level of the guitar track.

I did not expect to see that except on the VH tracks - where I fully expected to see it.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Re: Unexpected Tone Discovery

Post by harddriver »

Not too surprising as alot of albums were mixed and mastered by the same people utilizing the same mastering tricks. That's why Montrose is recorded the very same way Van Halen was recorded, mixed and mastered by Ted Templemen and Don Landee.
PLX
Executive

Re: Unexpected Tone Discovery

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:41 pm Not too surprising as alot of albums were mixed and mastered by the same people utilizing the same mastering tricks. That's why Montrose is recorded the very same way Van Halen was recorded, mixed and mastered by Ted Templemen and Don Landee.
Not so.

I have the guitar stems of "Rock Candy" and "Bad Motor Scooter" and they are simply the same guitar track panned left and right. :|

It's not even double tracked. They just panned the same performance on 2 tracks, then combined them.

Donn Landee put an Electro Harmonix "Big Muff" in the microphone line to make his guitar sound that way on "Space Station Number 5".

Hell, even the little overdubbed riffs scattered throughout "Rock Candy" are identical on both tracks - like they were just punched in after the fact.