Willow Smith - Metal Has Been Gatekept By Old White Men For Too Long

Yakk about your gear
Watson503
Middle Manager

Willow Smith - Metal Has Been Gatekept By Old White Men For Too Long

Post by Watson503 »

You know her bald-headed ho mom Jada had that shitty nu-metal band a while back and this idiot now is following in her footsteps and adding her woke, Generation Z bullshit along with her SHIT guitar skills. And while I'm at it, Primus really does suck.

Willow shares love for Deftones and Lamb Of God, says metal has been gatekept by old white men for too long

“Rock has always been inspiring to me,” she explains. “Ever since I was born, I’ve always been inspired by Deftones, Lamb Of God, Crowbar… But I think that when you start doing something at such a young age, your mind is still growing in a lot of different ways. Then you grow up and you understand [that] you need to really apply yourself in a way that you might not have thought of.”

Willow's indoctrination into the world of heavy music was initially driven by her mother, Jada Pinkett Smith, who was the frontwoman of the nu-metal band Wicked Wisdom.

"The first artist that inspired me was definitely my mom,” she reveals. “She was the first rock artist that I ever saw perform up close.”

Speaking of how rock and metal has historically been dominated by older, white male artists, Willow offers her perspective on how the genre is changing into a more diverse and inclusive space.

“I am always hoping to spread more joy,” she says. “I think the only reason why it’s older, white men mostly listening to this music is because metal has been gatekept for a long time by these people.

"[Now,] new people of colour are coming to say that that’s really not the way that it should be. Rock is for everyone [and] I’m gonna bring my people to the space and we are gonna vibe it out like we always do… hopefully the old white dudes vibe it out too.”
https://www.loudersound.com/news/willow ... AgncMdMf48

Primus "solo" cover....

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/ge ... eacts.html
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” - George Orwell

"Polyphia SUCKS!!!" - Ronald Reagan
lll
Middle Manager

Re: Willow Smith - Metal Has Been Gatekept By Old White Men For Too Long

Post by lll »

Jada Pinkett Smith is one fucked-up cunt, and Will is a pussy-whipped sucka.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

Watson503 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:20 pm Primus "solo" cover....
This is the perfect example of your typical gear forum "expert". :roll:

"I own a guitar and can make noise with it, therefore my highly experienced statements on gear forums matter more than people who can play, build and mix circles around me. Just don't ask me to show you examples of my playing, because I can't, and I will always try very hard to hide that fact online." :roll:
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

She would be a good fit for the SD forum.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

I'm glad the Internet didn't exist when I was a dumbass kid.

:)
Watson503
Middle Manager

Post by Watson503 »

The new face of "rock" and "metal" was on SNL...The libs and younger generations that actually watch SNL deserve having to sit through every minute of this crap

Willow continues her transformation to guitar star with raucous SNL performance
Joined by South Korean axe ace Liso Lee, Willow's performance of the Deftones-inspired Ur a Stranger was filled with knockout riffs – but its mysterious outro leads will leave you scratching your head.

Last weekend, Willow made her Saturday Night Live debut by playing two tracks from her latest solo album, Coping Mechanism.

During the performances of Curious/Furious and Ur a Stranger, Willow was joined by seasoned South Korean session shredder Liso Lee, who doubled up the singer’s custom Ernie Ball Music Man St. Vincent signature with an equally rad Jackson Rhoads electric guitar for the two riff-a-thons.

Ur a Stranger, though, proved to be the most intriguing performance of the pair, not just because it was the first time the Deftones-tinged track had been played live, but because it featured some mysterious lead lines throughout that might leave listeners scratching their heads.

For the most part, Willow and Lee can be seen busying themselves with Ur a Stranger’s pounding progressions for the first minute or so, before a brief breakdown introduces the track’s first lead lines.

However, it doesn’t seem as though the quick-fire licks are emanating from the fretboard of lead player Lee, who turns to face the cabs but whose left hand looks to be continuing its supportive riffing.

A similar situation occurs towards the outro – when Willow unstraps her axe to begin smashing it into an on-stage prop, Lee continues to hold down the low-end riffs while the mysterious lead lines return.

It’s a peculiar situation, not least because Lee – who flexed her chops during a Tiny Desk session with Rico Nasty – is more than capable of replicating the lines that can be heard.

The fact the outro solo doesn’t feature on the studio recording of Ur a Stranger makes things even more confusing. Perhaps Lee, or some other unnamed guitarist, recorded one just for live purposes? Perhaps the logistics of a two-guitar setup meant Lee was duty-bound to continue riffing to maintain momentum while Willow put her instrument through the prop TV?
https://www.guitarworld.com/news/willow ... a-stranger
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” - George Orwell

"Polyphia SUCKS!!!" - Ronald Reagan