Guitar World - "Straight Male Guitarists Play Extreme Metal To Impress Other Men"

Yakk about your gear
Watson503
Middle Manager

Guitar World - "Straight Male Guitarists Play Extreme Metal To Impress Other Men"

Post by Watson503 »

"Study" - based on 44 people HAHAHA!!!!! Get the fuck outta here with this shit. Guitar World catering to the woke online crowd

Straight male guitarists play extreme metal to impress other men, study suggests

A sample group of 44 heterosexual males were surveyed for the study, which explored “the reasoning behind investment in technical guitar skills” by taking a look at their practice habits, sexual behavior and feelings of competitiveness toward other men.

The results of the study “indicated that time spent playing chords predicted desire for casual sex with women, whereas perceptions of playing speed positively predicted intrasexual competitiveness," in plain terms, a wish to impress other men.

The study does highlight, though, that extreme metal is “heavily male-biased, not only among the individuals that play this style of music, but also among the fans of the genre.

“Therefore,” it continues, “it is unlikely that extreme metal musicians are primarily trying to increase their mating success through their music. However, musicians in this genre heavily invest their time in building technical skills (e.g., dexterity, coordination and timing), which raises the question of the purpose behind this costly investment.

“It could be that men engage in this genre mainly for status-seeking purposes: to intimidate other males with their technical skills and speed and thus gain social status.”

So there you have it, guys. Millions of years of evolution and heterosexual human males are no longer chest-beating, but rather turning to electric guitar shredding to show supremacy. Those of the extreme metal persuasion, at least.

We stress that 44 participants is rarely a sufficient sample size to confidently draw conclusions as to the motivations of extreme metal’s many thousands of guitar players, but the study certainly makes for an interesting insight.
https://www.guitarworld.com/news/straig ... -other-men
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” - George Orwell

"Polyphia SUCKS!!!" - Ronald Reagan
lll
Middle Manager

Re: Guitar World - "Straight Male Guitarists Play Extreme Metal To Impress Other Men"

Post by lll »

Watson503 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:36 pm "Study" - based on 44 people HAHAHA!!!!! Get the fuck outta here with this shit. Guitar World catering to the woke online crowd

Straight male guitarists play extreme metal to impress other men, study suggests

A sample group of 44 heterosexual males were surveyed for the study, which explored “the reasoning behind investment in technical guitar skills” by taking a look at their practice habits, sexual behavior and feelings of competitiveness toward other men.

The results of the study “indicated that time spent playing chords predicted desire for casual sex with women, whereas perceptions of playing speed positively predicted intrasexual competitiveness," in plain terms, a wish to impress other men.

The study does highlight, though, that extreme metal is “heavily male-biased, not only among the individuals that play this style of music, but also among the fans of the genre.

“Therefore,” it continues, “it is unlikely that extreme metal musicians are primarily trying to increase their mating success through their music. However, musicians in this genre heavily invest their time in building technical skills (e.g., dexterity, coordination and timing), which raises the question of the purpose behind this costly investment.

“It could be that men engage in this genre mainly for status-seeking purposes: to intimidate other males with their technical skills and speed and thus gain social status.”

So there you have it, guys. Millions of years of evolution and heterosexual human males are no longer chest-beating, but rather turning to electric guitar shredding to show supremacy. Those of the extreme metal persuasion, at least.

We stress that 44 participants is rarely a sufficient sample size to confidently draw conclusions as to the motivations of extreme metal’s many thousands of guitar players, but the study certainly makes for an interesting insight.
https://www.guitarworld.com/news/straig ... -other-men
Guitar World has no fucking business writing about this.

Shoulda stuck to guitars.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
PLX
Executive

Re: Guitar World - "Straight Male Guitarists Play Extreme Metal To Impress Other Men"

Post by PLX »

If I had it to do over again, I'd focus more on singing, songwriting and melodic structure, rather than trying to play like Eddie Van Halen.

My 2 cents. :D
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

PLX wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:19 pm If I had it to do over again, I'd focus more on singing, songwriting and melodic structure, rather than trying to play like Nuno.

My 2 cents. :D
Fixed.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:31 amFixed.
I wish I had taken more of the direction Jerry Cantrell did.

Focusing on strong riffs and vocal melodies.. minus all the devil worshipping.

:|
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

I see Guitar Woke is at it again. They are always coming up with something to talk about that has nothing to do with what they should be talking about. Another useless mouthpiece.