DAW and Mac

RockyStar
Grand Poobah

DAW and Mac

Post by RockyStar »

I am kicking around some options and like most people I have information overload.

What are you using?

What are the good and bad with what you are using?

Talk to me on your experiences.

Thanks in advance!
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Re: DAW and Mac

Post by RockyStar »

I am considering a few options and not sure I want to be held hostage to a Mac product even though I like Logic.

I am considering Ableton Live, Studio One, Reaper and a couple others.
sytharnia NZ
Recruit

Post by sytharnia NZ »

I have an old Power PC mac and i run Reaper ... it is excellent. Even with an old machine like mine I can still use midi programs (older ones obviously). I runs very smoothly
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

sytharnia NZ wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:17 am I have an old Power PC mac and i run Reaper ... it is excellent. Even with an old machine like mine I can still use midi programs (older ones obviously). I runs very smoothly
I keep hearing great things about it. It is definitely one of the most suggested in my conversations on this subject aside from the standard response of PRO TOOL or LOGIC! :lol:
sytharnia NZ
Recruit

Post by sytharnia NZ »

RockyStar wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:41 pm
sytharnia NZ wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:17 am I have an old Power PC mac and i run Reaper ... it is excellent. Even with an old machine like mine I can still use midi programs (older ones obviously). I runs very smoothly
I keep hearing great things about it. It is definitely one of the most suggested in my conversations on this subject aside from the standard response of PRO TOOL or LOGIC! :lol:
it is truely outstanding. I always found Logic to have too many windows and "paths" so it takes up too much time learning it so never really bothered going deep with it. Pro Tool is great obviously but also "deep" in learning.

I have an diploma in audio engineering (done right at the start of the digital revolution, so I never went to far into Pro Tools because it was pretty new) so can figure out most things when it comes to recording audio and Reaper provides everything all the others do for a lot less money ... I mean it is 100% free if you don't want to pay for it (you can run it as a trial forever)
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

sytharnia NZ wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:38 pm
it is truely outstanding. I always found Logic to have too many windows and "paths" so it takes up too much time learning it so never really bothered going deep with it. Pro Tool is great obviously but also "deep" in learning.

I have an diploma in audio engineering (done right at the start of the digital revolution, so I never went to far into Pro Tools because it was pretty new) so can figure out most things when it comes to recording audio and Reaper provides everything all the others do for a lot less money ... I mean it is 100% free if you don't want to pay for it (you can run it as a trial forever)
True...for a person primarily looking to cover the basics it probably is the best way to go. I would like to make my own records (playing all the instruments myself) but primarily I am looking for something to mainly track guitars and handle riffs and ideas etc as I get them. Maybe staying simple is still best and going after more really isn't necessary?????
sytharnia NZ
Recruit

Post by sytharnia NZ »

RockyStar wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:06 pm
sytharnia NZ wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:38 pm

True...for a person primarily looking to cover the basics it probably is the best way to go. I would like to make my own records (playing all the instruments myself) but primarily I am looking for something to mainly track guitars and handle riffs and ideas etc as I get them. Maybe staying simple is still best and going after more really isn't necessary?????
yes totally. Reaper is only "simple" in its ease of use. It also is very deep if you need to dig into it (midi instruments etc) but never gets overwhelming on the learning curve

Here something I did in Reaper .. played all instruments/vox using midi drum program

RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

Cool

I would never play anything programmed etc. I would capture proper drums, bass and guitar. I am sure it can do all I want and need it to do.
sytharnia NZ
Recruit

Post by sytharnia NZ »

RockyStar wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:06 am Cool

I would never play anything programmed etc. I would capture proper drums, bass and guitar. I am sure it can do all I want and need it to do.
Yeah doing the midi drums is a pain in the ass. Basically clicking little squares for hours mapping them out is pretty much the opposite to inspiring but sadly it is what it is as I can't find a drummer near me
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

sytharnia NZ wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:24 pm
RockyStar wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:06 am Cool

Yeah doing the midi drums is a pain in the ass. Basically clicking little squares for hours mapping them out is pretty much the opposite to inspiring but sadly it is what it is as I can't find a drummer near me
I hear ya. Not my idea of a good time. Fortunately I have a drum kit and am proficient enough to play whatever I would need to play though I don't expect to ever fill in for Dream Theater or Gojira if one of those guys is out...lol.