Best DAW for you? Cubase? Logic? Reaper?

RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Best DAW for you? Cubase? Logic? Reaper?

Post by RockyStar »

I haven't fully settled on a DAW but like some things on various ones I have tried. Everybody rants on Logic and Cubase. I often hear how difficult Cubase is to use. Is this true?

With the customizable options and skins (layout choices) of Reaper and the cost of it (along with the updates and support and friendly user community) I am almost ready to customize Reaper and have it do what I want it to do (which is the intent of its creators) and just be done with it.

Has anybody gone way deep into Reaper and customizing it?

Has anybody really spent time with Cubase 11 and what are your thoughts on it?
PLX
Executive

Re: Best DAW for you? Cubase? Logic? Reaper?

Post by PLX »

RockyStar wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:30 pm I haven't fully settled on a DAW but like some things on various ones I have tried. Everybody rants on Logic and Cubase. I often hear how difficult Cubase is to use. Is this true?

With the customizable options and skins (layout choices) of Reaper and the cost of it (along with the updates and support and friendly user community) I am almost ready to customize Reaper and have it do what I want it to do (which is the intent of its creators) and just be done with it.

I loved Steinberg Cubase.

It took a long time to learn, but once I did, it was fuckin' awesome :!:

Then Steinberg refused to give me an upgrade path to the newer version.. instead insisting I pay full price. Fuck Steinberg right in the ass.

I switched to Reaper and realized it can do everything Cubase could, for a fraction of the price.

Fuck Steinberg, right in the ass.

:lol:
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

PLX wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:32 pm
RockyStar wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:30 pm I haven't fully settled on a DAW but like some things on various ones I have tried. Everybody rants on Logic and Cubase. I often hear how difficult Cubase is to use. Is this true?

I loved Steinberg Cubase.

It took a long time to learn, but once I did, it was fuckin' awesome :!:

Then Steinberg refused to give me an upgrade path to the newer version.. instead insisting I pay full price. Fuck Steinberg right in the ass.

I switched to Reaper and realized it can do everything Cubase could, for a fraction of the price.

Fuck Steinberg, right in the ass.

:lol:
Interesting. I have talked to several people and everybody loves the DAW but hates the company. The feedback I have received was they are difficult to reach, make installs and upgrades a pain in the ass with all the hoops etc. It looks like the most customizable DAW is Reaper. It looks like the most cost effective paid for DAW is Reaper. It looks like the best support and upgrades go to Reaper or certainly they are way up there. It looks like one of the, if not the most helpful user communities goes to Reaper. It looks like it is tough to beat Reaper when it is all said and done.

Most likely they get slagged because they don't cost a fortune.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

RockyStar wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:03 pm Interesting. I have talked to several people and everybody loves the DAW but hates the company. The feedback I have received was they are difficult to reach, make installs and upgrades a pain in the ass with all the hoops etc. It looks like the most customizable DAW is Reaper. It looks like the most cost effective paid for DAW is Reaper. It looks like the best support and upgrades go to Reaper or certainly they are way up there. It looks like one of the, if not the most helpful user communities goes to Reaper. It looks like it is tough to beat Reaper when it is all said and done.

Consider subscribing to this channel to learn how to configure Reaper:

https://www.youtube.com/c/ReapertvUk

Yeah, I think I paid $60 to register the latest version of Reaper a few months ago. :roll:
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

PLX wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:05 pm
RockyStar wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:03 pm Interesting. I have talked to several people and everybody loves the DAW but hates the company. The feedback I have received was they are difficult to reach, make installs and upgrades a pain in the ass with all the hoops etc. It looks like the most customizable DAW is Reaper. It looks like the most cost effective paid for DAW is Reaper. It looks like the best support and upgrades go to Reaper or certainly they are way up there. It looks like one of the, if not the most helpful user communities goes to Reaper. It looks like it is tough to beat Reaper when it is all said and done.

Consider subscribing to this channel to learn how to configure Reaper:

https://www.youtube.com/c/ReapertvUk

Yeah, I think I paid $60 to register the latest version of Reaper a few months ago. :roll:
Thanks man! Yes, you get two full version upgrades for 60 bucks if I am not mistaken. I just need to learn how to do all this stuff as it is a whole new world to me. I saw a page (maybe it was on their forum?) of codes you can use to have totally different looks or layouts. I will check out the channel link. :)
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

RockyStar wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:24 pm Thanks man! Yes, you get two full version upgrades for 60 bucks if I am not mistaken. I just need to learn how to do all this stuff as it is a whole new world to me. I saw a page (maybe it was on their forum?) of codes you can use to have totally different looks or layouts. I will check out the channel link. :)
There is a learning curve, to be sure.

I started off with Tascam 4-track tape machines back in the 80's~90's.

Cakewalk was the first digital multi-track recording software I worked with (prolly sometime around 2000-ish).
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

PLX wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:27 pm
RockyStar wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:24 pm Thanks man! Yes, you get two full version upgrades for 60 bucks if I am not mistaken. I just need to learn how to do all this stuff as it is a whole new world to me. I saw a page (maybe it was on their forum?) of codes you can use to have totally different looks or layouts. I will check out the channel link. :)
There is a learning curve, to be sure.

I started off with Tascam 4-track tape machines back in the 80's~90's.

Cakewalk was the first digital multi-track recording software I worked with (prolly sometime around 2000-ish).
I will be learning the use and the customizing of things..lol. I am a recording n00b or worse as far as doing things myself. Cakewalk is well liked but I believe it is Windows only and I am on a Mac. Did you customize your layout and all that or do you just use it stock?
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

RockyStar wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:40 pm I will be learning the use and the customizing of things..lol. I am a recording n00b or worse as far as doing things myself. Cakewalk is well liked but I believe it is Windows only and I am on a Mac. Did you customize your layout and all that or do you just use it stock?
Well, Cakewalk - the original version waay back in the day was buggy as hell. I abandoned it and bought a Tascam 424 mkIII (cassette tape based 4-track)

I customize Reaper to get things where I like them to do what I wanna do.. I use mostly Waves suite of plugins, so I have the VU meter, and inPhase - tools like that I like to use. I think the only plug-in I have that's not Waves is the Eventide H910.

I usually record with a parallel attenuator that produces a line-level signal. I mix this signal with either a close-miked SM-57 or ribbon mic (AKG-220) on a 4x12 cab. These signals with be slightly out of phase, so I have to do millisecond adjustments.

I'll use a drum machine (Alesis SR-16) to get a stereo drum track to start off.

I use a 3/4 scale Fender Squire bass to lay down bass tracks. Then my guitars.

I'm a student as well when it comes to digital multi-track recording, but I can get my musical ideas down. I find the ReaperTV channel is a really good resource when you get stuck.