What are you using for an interface?

sytharnia NZ
Recruit

Re: What are you using for an interface?

Post by sytharnia NZ »

Quick update ... got the mixer and it is working great. Only issue now is the fact if I use plugins (like guitar rig, amplitude etc) the CPU is getting hammered so by the time I have more than 4 guitar tracks I get major buffering. Not a huge deal as I can turn the plugins off until I want to mix down
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

sytharnia NZ wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 1:45 am Quick update ... got the mixer and it is working great. Only issue now is the fact if I use plugins (like guitar rig, amplitude etc) the CPU is getting hammered so by the time I have more than 4 guitar tracks I get major buffering. Not a huge deal as I can turn the plugins off until I want to mix down
Yeah, I find that with Reaper DAW, if I load up too many plugins at once, I start to get some latency.

I find it's better to record "clean" and then play with all the IR's and plug-ins in post production.
sytharnia NZ
Recruit

Post by sytharnia NZ »

PLX wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:48 pm
sytharnia NZ wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 1:45 am Quick update ... got the mixer and it is working great. Only issue now is the fact if I use plugins (like guitar rig, amplitude etc) the CPU is getting hammered so by the time I have more than 4 guitar tracks I get major buffering. Not a huge deal as I can turn the plugins off until I want to mix down
Yeah, I find that with Reaper DAW, if I load up too many plugins at once, I start to get some latency.

I find it's better to record "clean" and then play with all the IR's and plug-ins in post production.
yeah thats what I do. Only issue is with keyboards as they are 100% midi so if the plugin is off there is no sound. I tried rendering them to audio but when I imported the audio file into the song the timing was off..something to do with the "midi clock" I guess.

It is only an issue with a couple of songs that start with keyboards so I can work around it by recording a rough copy of the keys on guitar just for timing sake.. I kind of miss my old line 6 podfarm stuff.. sounded pretty good and was hassle free :lol:
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

sytharnia NZ wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:40 pmyeah thats what I do. Only issue is with keyboards as they are 100% midi so if the plugin is off there is no sound. I tried rendering them to audio but when I imported the audio file into the song the timing was off..something to do with the "midi clock" I guess.

It is only an issue with a couple of songs that start with keyboards so I can work around it by recording a rough copy of the keys on guitar just for timing sake.. I kind of miss my old line 6 podfarm stuff.. sounded pretty good and was hassle free :lol:
I think, with most DAWS you can "snap to grid" and try to make things line up.

I have done it manually with an audio drum track to a guitar track that was played to a metronome.

Sometimes you have to tweak things, here and there. Maybe chop-up the audio track and sort of "make it work".
sytharnia NZ
Recruit

Post by sytharnia NZ »

PLX wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:53 pm

I have done it manually with an audio drum track to a guitar track that was played to a metronome.

Sometimes you have to tweak things, here and there. Maybe chop-up the audio track and sort of "make it work".
I have just spent the last hour trying to make it work. Played a 4 bar drum beat (midi) and then tried to just copy it over the entire duration of that pattern and the timing went out (to the midi converted audio) ... so my options are either literally record all the drums manually on my keyboard or just delete the midi/audio and do a rough track of all the keys on guitar and at the last stage of recording do the midi keys

either way it is pissing me off :lol:

will do a bit more googling to see if there is a way to fix the slowing down of the midi when converting .... I now remember why I never gave midi even to seconds of time back in the early 90's haha
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

sytharnia NZ wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:35 am I have just spent the last hour trying to make it work. Played a 4 bar drum beat (midi) and then tried to just copy it over the entire duration of that pattern and the timing went out (to the midi converted audio) ... so my options are either literally record all the drums manually on my keyboard or just delete the midi/audio and do a rough track of all the keys on guitar and at the last stage of recording do the midi keys

either way it is pissing me off :lol:

will do a bit more googling to see if there is a way to fix the slowing down of the midi when converting .... I now remember why I never gave midi even to seconds of time back in the early 90's haha
I hate programming drum machines.

I just wanna play the guitar. Lately I've started downloading isolated drum tracks off YouTube and inserting them into a track in Reaper DAW, then just play to that.

There's lots of drum tracks out there for the stuff I like to play.. but if you're writing original material, that doesn't work quite as well.
JaxTeller
FNG

Post by JaxTeller »

I just ordered a SSL 2+. It seemed like a good deal for the money and the extras you get with it.
"You're Done Telling Me Anything. Now I Tell You. I’m Getting Released. There’s Nothing You Can Do To Stop That. I’ll Find Out Who You Are And Where You Live, And Then I’m Gonna Kill You." ~ JT