VH FYLT w backing track

Post by PLX »

lll
Middle Manager

Re: VH FYLT w backing track

Post by lll »

PLX wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:07 am
8-)

Alright - in the ballpark. Gain-wise (amount of BALLLZZZ) sounds right, EQ-wise needs some finesse work.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:30 am Alright - in the ballpark. Gain-wise (amount of BALLLZZZ) sounds right, EQ-wise needs some finesse work.
I'm thinking it needs to have moar 700Hz pulled out.
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

PLX wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:34 am I'm thinking it needs to have moar 700Hz pulled out.
I don't think so necessarily.

Quick comparison listen - Ed's seems a little fatter here again.

If you were to fatten up yours, it would have the added effect of making the mids sound slightly scooped (because the "fat" low-end / low-mids would be stronger).
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

This Jalen FW pickup is a great match for your amp PLX, it sounds great...I really like it. 8-) Are you running this straight into your amp or are you using one EP Preamp for the VH1 effect?

Ya need an MXR flanger I tell ya.............. ;)
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:03 am This Jalen FW pickup is a great match for your amp PLX, it sounds great...I really like it. 8-) Are you running this straight into your amp or are you using one EP Preamp for the VH1 effect?

Ya need an MXR flanger I tell ya.............. ;)
The Nuno stuff is difficult to make it sound right without the RAT pedal and lots of cutting 700Hz and boosting 5kHz.

The early Ed stuff sounds more correct with the boosts he was probably using back then.. EP-pre, SVDS, GE-10 etc.

The stuff after WACF seems to be a higher output pickup and Eventide H-910, different speakers. But, just like the Nuno tones you wind up cutting out lots of 700Hz, and boosting 5kHz to make those tones sound close to the recorded tone.
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

I've only gotten great Nuno tone using two amp setups:

RAT into ADA MP-1

or

Friedman BEODD into '66 Fender Deluxe

Nunotone® :lol: is in general somewhat scooped, bright and crunchy. Percussive and pokey too.

I have never fared well using my Plexi for Nuno tone... it's got too much warmth to pull off Nuno... but perfect for EVH.
Last edited by lll on Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

That settles it. PLX needs to buy an ADA MP-1 now. :lol:
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

lll wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:42 pm I've only gotten great Nuno tone using two amp setups:

RAT into ADA MP-1

or

Friedman BEODD into '66 Fender Deluxe

Nunotone® :lol: is in general somewhat scooped, bright and crunchy. Percussive and pokey too.

I have never fared well using my Plexi for Nuno tone... it's got too much warmth to pull off Nuno... but perfect for EVH.
He only needs to add a variable NFB control as I laid out in his PMD NUNO thread. It's quick and easy to do and it would give him plexi NFB and JCM800 NFB for both Ed and NUNO tones................... ;)
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

harddriver wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:13 pm He only needs to add a variable NFB control as I laid out in his PMD NUNO thread. It's quick and easy to do and it would give him plexi NFB and JCM800 NFB for both Ed and NUNO tones................... ;)
Perhaps, but I'm trying to get him to spend $$$$$$$$$. :lol: (no, not really)

But seriously, I do believe every serious guitar player should have an MP-1 in their stable.