Schaffer-Vega Diversity System Clone Pedal Project

Post your amp/pedal/guitar/etc builds here
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

Gonna start a build thread here in the pedal section. Mods, please move thread if there's a more appropriate section.

A little background on the device: The Schaffer–Vega diversity system (SVDS) was a wireless guitar system developed in 1975–76, engineered and prototyped by Ken Schaffer in New York City, and manufactured by the Vega Corporation, El Monte, California. A handheld microphone version was introduced in 1977.

The system was the first cordless system to be adopted by major rock acts because it solved technical problems common to earlier wireless systems. The reliable sound and freedom of movement it provided paved the way for bands to tour with large multi-level stages in arenas. Schaffer-Vegas were used in the late 1970s and early 1980s by many rock bands such as Pink Floyd (namely guitarist David Gilmour), the Rolling Stones, AC/DC and Kiss.

Although Schaffer's design objective was to create a wireless system that sounded transparent—as close as possible to the wired version—artists, such as Rick Derringer, Eddie Van Halen and Angus Young of AC/DC, chose to use their wireless units in the recording studio. The slight coloration added by the Schaffer-Vega was considered part of the desired guitar tone.

PLX
Executive

Re: Schaffer-Vega Diversity System Clone Pedal Project

Post by PLX »

Here's a gut-shot of the Alchemy Audio Guitar Effects $129.95 version of the pedal from Reverb.com.

PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

initial schematic for the project:

harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

I can't say I am not interested in these. I know it was instrumental in Angus's tone but my curiosity as to it's effects on VHII Ed tone, if he was using this during the studio recording of VHII...........HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM :roll:
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:46 pm I can't say I am not interested in these. I know it was instrumental in Angus's tone but my curiosity as to it's effects on VHII Ed tone, if he was using this during the studio recording of VHII...........HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM :roll:
With Angus, his (and Malcolm's) use of this device on the early AC/DC records is a documented fact. Both he and Mal have attested to this in multiple interviews with the press.

As far as Ed goes, the photo's from the recording of VHII and the fact that early ads from Schaffer-Vega list Van Halen as one of many top rock acts in the late 70's that purchased the wireless units for use on stage, are all we will ever have to go on.

harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

I see the Vega unit, but Ed usually was plugged in with a cord from the 78 tour, Maybe by the end of the 78 tour he might have picked one of these up hence just coming off the road to record VHII there it is in his rack behind him. I would also venture to say there would be no reason to drag it off the tour trucks and into studio if he wasn't going to use it, so I agree anything is possible with Ed that's for sure.

I'm fairly confident that live Ed was wireless starting in probably 1980/81. For the 78 tour he was using cables at least for the first few shows, I dont recall if he was wireless for the 79 tour...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :?: :geek: 8-)
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:30 pm I see the Vega unit, but Ed usually was plugged in with a cord from the 78 tour, Maybe by the end of the 78 tour he might have picked one of these up hence just coming off the road to record VHII there it is in his rack behind him. I would also venture to say there would be no reason to drag it off the tour trucks and into studio if he wasn't going to use it, so I agree anything is possible with Ed that's for sure.

I'm fairly confident that live Ed was wireless starting in probably 1980/81. For the 78 tour he was using cables at least for the first few shows, I dont recall if he was wireless for the 79 tour...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :?: :geek: 8-)
The lore on those photos has always been that they were staged as promotional material, intended to be used for the liner notes/cover sleeve art for the upcoming record.

On the other hand, all the other quirky, early-Ed gear is there in the photo..
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

Components have arrived.

I smell solder :!:

PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

PLX
Executive