PLX
Executive

Schaffer-Vega Diversity System Clone Pedal Project

Post by PLX »

PLX
Executive

Re: Schaffer-Vega Diversity System Clone Pedal Project

Post by PLX »

WGAFISHOME wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:12 pm BTW: Great job on your pedal thus far. I'm SUPER curious to know if it delivers as you want.
Yeah, I wanna hear this thing too.

But if it doesn't work with my rig, I'll just sell it on Reverb.com for 2X what I paid for the parts & shipping.

PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

WGAFISHOME wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:48 pm I gotta say I don't think it sounds good for a ballsy guitar tone.

Why? Because the 'transient attack' of each note picked has a harsh/glassy upper mid. It's almost like an Aural Exciter is being used which on a single guitar is never a good thing. Yes, it makes it sound clear but at the same time it HiFi's the tone making it sound glassy.........to me.

These are my ears saying this & you may not agree but that's fine of course.

Of note, when you use a real Exchoplex pre amp that glassiness is the furtherest enhancement you would expect from it.

I've owned many high end wireless systems and I do know the Schaffer has a legendary enhancement but if it's this I'm not a fan.

Not trying to be a prick, I'm just being honest & if you dig it....................... cool in every way.
I'm pretty sure the SVDS was used in the early EVH signal chain, although not all agree on this.

"“Young Wizard of Power Rock”
By: Jas Obrecht
Guitar Player (April 1980)

GP: Do you use wireless transmitters?

EVH: Yeah, I always do because I bounce around a lot. My first one was a Schaffer-Vega. It took me a long time to get it working right with my system because at the time my amps were so powerful that the thing was overdriven and wouldn’t work. It was too much power. Then when I got weaker amps I could use it. If you use it with too high of an amp it will just freak out; you get the weirdest feedback noises you ever heard in your life. And then I got a Nasty Cordless. Now the Schaffer-Vega is tuned to a fixed frequency, and one of the advantages of the Nasty is that you can dial in the frequency, just like a radio. The Schaffer-Vega has a built-in compressor in the transmitter, which is kind of cool, depending on what amp you use it with. I think that the Nasty is weaker. Like with the Schaffer-Vega I’m always reaching at my knob, trying to get 11 out of it instead of 10. And with the Nasty, I’m reaching for 14, so I use an equalizer to boost it. But it is actually a cleaner sounding system. When we played the Budokan in Japan I couldn’t use either one because there were heavy radio signals everywhere."

harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

Looks great PLX, thanks for the updates on the assembly.... I'm curious to hear your thoughts about it's effects on any VH type of tone. ;)
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

Drilling enclosure.

PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

Proof of concept, case design and faceplate art.

Used an old Hammond enclosure from a previous project to do a mock-up of the artwork and paint color scheme.

harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

WOW... love the artwork, you are really going all out here... no sharpie marker for you.............. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I had a thumbs up emoji I'd give a two thumbs up! 8-)
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:59 pm WOW... love the artwork, you are really going all out here... no sharpie marker for you.............. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LoL ! Thank you, my friend!

Yeah, not sure if you can make it out.. but the image is actually a photo of Chris Merren's Schaffer-Vega receiver unit.

I used a "polar distortion" effect in my graphics program to create the faceplate art.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

PLX wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:06 pm
harddriver wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:59 pm WOW... love the artwork, you are really going all out here... no sharpie marker for you.............. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, not sure if you can make it out.. but the image is actually a photo of Chris Merren's Schaffer-Vega receiver unit.

I used a "polar distortion" effect in my graphics program to create the faceplate art.
Does Chirs Merren think the Vega had much to do with VH1 tone? I know Chris is a VH kind of guy... :?:
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:38 pm
PLX wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:06 pm

Does Chirs Merren think the Vega had much to do with VH1 tone? I know Chris is a VH kind of guy... :?:
Pm me. ;)