Marshall 2203 REEEEEEEEEEE-work

Post your amp/pedal/guitar/etc builds here
lll
Middle Manager

Re: Marshall 2203 REEEEEEEEEEE-work

Post by lll »

PLX wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:05 am Moved condenser mic into speaker wash (where I like to stand when I'm playing).

Blended with SM-57 on cap edge (out of phase).

This one sounds pretty good. Wonder how it would sound with a little less AKG (maybe -3dB worth)

i.e. less room mic to bring tone up front.

3-D speaking (yes, not true three dimensions, but follow concept), the more reverb/room, the more the track sits in the background.

Less reverb/room, the more the track sits in the foreground.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:11 amThis one sounds pretty good. Wonder how it would sound with a little less AKG (maybe -3dB worth)
This clip is so much closer to what it really sounds like in the room.

I dialed back the condenser mic about 3dB and I also went and listened to the ISO track of "Romeo Delight" again. It's much more bassy sounding, so I EQ'ed to boost more low end to try to get it sounding more like the original isolated guitar track.

lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

PLX wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:30 am
lll wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:11 amThis one sounds pretty good. Wonder how it would sound with a little less AKG (maybe -3dB worth)
This clip is so much closer to what it really sounds like in the room.

I dialed back the condenser mic about 3dB and I also went and listened to the ISO track of "Romeo Delight" again. It's much more bassy sounding, so I EQ'ed to boost more low end to try to get it sounding more like the original isolated guitar track.

Yes that's good. Still needs a little tweaking up/down the freq spectrum and tightening of the lows a little, but this core mic tone works.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

Notice also that the "honk" in the upper midrange (ears tell me roughly 3K) is not prominent anymore as well.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:15 pmYes that's good. Still needs a little tweaking up/down the freq spectrum and tightening of the lows a little, but this core mic tone works.
At this point I'm starting to suspect I have the wrong PI tube in the amp.

Those JJ 12AX7's are great in V1 and V2 because they have so much gain, but I need to try a cleaner, more balanced tube for V3.

edit:I rolled tubes in and outta the amp for 1-1/2 hours. It wasn't a tube creating that raspy tone I was trying to EQ out in post production - it was the Boss GE-10. Removed it from the signal chain and that annoying fizzy sound went away with it. :lol:

lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

PLX wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:25 pm
lll wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:15 pmYes that's good. Still needs a little tweaking up/down the freq spectrum and tightening of the lows a little, but this core mic tone works.
At this point I'm starting to suspect I have the wrong PI tube in the amp.

Those JJ 12AX7's are great in V1 and V2 because they have so much gain, but I need to try a cleaner, more balanced tube for V3.

edit:I rolled tubes in and outta the amp for 1-1/2 hours. It wasn't a tube creating that raspy tone I was trying to EQ out in post production - it was the Boss GE-10. Removed it from the signal chain and that annoying fizzy sound went away with it. :lol:

Sounds good. Another good straight-up mic'd no-eq tone.

Someone is a Nuno fan up in hurrr... :lol:
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

BTW, this thread delivers the goods.

You'd never see a thread like this ever on Seymour Duncan User Group Forum; Aceman & Securb have a tough enough time just trying to play the guitar... getting inside an amp is lightyears beyond their gear IQ of about 27. :lol:
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:00 pm BTW, this thread delivers the goods.

You'd never see a thread like this ever on Seymour Duncan User Group Forum; Aceman & Securb have a tough enough time just trying to play the guitar... getting inside an amp is lightyears beyond their gear IQ of about 27. :lol:
Yeah.

And I didn't even electrocute myself.

lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

It's time for a station break with the obligatory "REEEEEEEEE":

harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

PLX wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:44 am So, just applying the things you talked about here in this thread, I can hear an immense improvement in getting the recorded tone to more closely resemble what the amp/cab actually sound like in the room :!:

JCM-800
variac @ 70VAC
2 6CA7's (two tubes pulled)
bass, middle, treble on 10
preamp on 6
8Ω tap into 16Ω 4x12 cabinet
SM-57 off axis, on cone 1" away
LUFS set at -14

still got a lot to learn :lol:
Wow... that sounds like a completely different amp PLX! NICEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! :shock: :o 8-)

Well I can't say I'm too shocked................it's all sum of the parts and you got the right parts.

What were you running up front of the JCM800?

Waiting for your VH1 outtakes now! 8-)