Marshall 2203 REEEEEEEEEEE-work

Post your amp/pedal/guitar/etc builds here
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Re: Marshall 2203 REEEEEEEEEEE-work

Post by harddriver »

PLX wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:30 am
lll wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:11 amThis one sounds pretty good. Wonder how it would sound with a little less AKG (maybe -3dB worth)
This clip is so much closer to what it really sounds like in the room.

I dialed back the condenser mic about 3dB and I also went and listened to the ISO track of "Romeo Delight" again. It's much more bassy sounding, so I EQ'ed to boost more low end to try to get it sounding more like the original isolated guitar track.

I'm digging the amp PLX............. it rocks NUNO and Ed???????????? VERY NICE!
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

PLX wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:25 pm
lll wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:15 pmYes that's good. Still needs a little tweaking up/down the freq spectrum and tightening of the lows a little, but this core mic tone works.
At this point I'm starting to suspect I have the wrong PI tube in the amp.

Those JJ 12AX7's are great in V1 and V2 because they have so much gain, but I need to try a cleaner, more balanced tube for V3.

edit:I rolled tubes in and outta the amp for 1-1/2 hours. It wasn't a tube creating that raspy tone I was trying to EQ out in post production - it was the Boss GE-10. Removed it from the signal chain and that annoying fizzy sound went away with it. :lol:

Are you boosting this with anything? I'm thinking of moving my 1985 Rat White faced reissue since you are on a NUNO kick?
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:49 pmAre you boosting this with anything? I'm thinking of moving my 1985 Rat White faced reissue since you are on a NUNO kick?
Yeah, it's just my early EVH pedal chain.

I took out the GE-10 though, it wasn't needed after dropping the voltage with the variac.. in fact it seemed to be just adding noise.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

What pickups were you using in the Romeo Delight clip versus the Nuno clips?
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:34 pm What pickups were you using in the Romeo Delight clip versus the Nuno clips?
Oh it's the same guitar/pickups in all these clips lately:

USA made Dean ML
Super 70 clone (HighOrder Pickups)
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

PLX wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:39 pm
harddriver wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:34 pm What pickups were you using in the Romeo Delight clip versus the Nuno clips?
Oh it's the same guitar/pickups in all these clips lately:

USA made Dean ML
Super 70 clone (HighOrder Pickups)
Nice and crunchy I like it in both clips and it did both really well.............VIVA Maxon Super 70's................. 8-) I remember my Smits super 70 being really thin sounding and not too pleasant.

I'm kinda digging that Jalen 7.8K pickup that he wound for Gaustad for that latest dive into ED lore but I'm not sure if it would be any better than my Duncan 78 model, I just love that thing.......... :lol: ALA GAS... :roll:
Last edited by harddriver on Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:57 pm Nice and crunchy I like it in both clips and it did both really well.............VIVA Maxon Super 70's................. 8-) I remember my Smits super 70 being really thin sounding and not too pleasant.

I'm kinda digging that Jalen 7.8K pickup that he wound for Gaustad for that latest dive into ED lore but I'm not such if it would be any better than my Duncan 78 model, I just love that thing.......... :lol: ALA GAS... :roll:
Yeah, I used to have a "Dean From Hell" Dimebag guitar.

I always thought it was interesting that both Darrel and Nuno (who were on the scene at the exact same time) both used a Bill Lawrence L500XL in the bridge position and a Seymour Duncan '59 in the neck.

I played the L500XL and it won't clean up no matter how far you dial back the volume knob on the guitar..

It has a thin sound because of the blades versus pole pieces. Was not a fan.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

Now that you have put some hours on the EH6CA7's how would you compare them to the EL34's that were in that amp before?

Are you inclined to try the EL34's again?

I just ordered a new filter cap set for my 67 Bandmaster...........REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWORK......... :roll: :lol:
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:15 pm Now that you have put some hours on the EH6CA7's how would you compare them to the EL34's that were in that amp before?

I just ordered a new filter cap set for my 67 Bandmaster...........REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWORK......... :roll: :lol:
I actually swapped out the 6CA7's for a new matched set the other day.

I'm chasing down an annoying fizzy, buzzing sound that only seems to occur when playing in the middle register.. e.g. You don't hear it when playing chords, or really even when playing low notes, but mostly when playing single note passages.

Might be "ghosting" from lowering the screens filtering from 100µF to 68µF :?:
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

PLX wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:20 pm
harddriver wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:15 pm Now that you have put some hours on the EH6CA7's how would you compare them to the EL34's that were in that amp before?

I actually swapped out the 6CA7's for a new matched set the other day.

I'm chasing down an annoying fizzy, buzzing sound that only seems to occur when playing in the middle register.. e.g. You don't hear it when playing chords, or really even when playing low notes, but mostly when playing single note passages.

Might be "ghosting" from lowering the screens filtering from 100µF to 68µF :?:
Maybe but i doubt it ghosting is ghostnotes when playing higher on the neck usually it's pretty obvious if you experience it.
If you want to hear a noisy amp listen to Van Halens Largo Maryland show 1982, Ed's amp is a hissin and buzzing right through the PA between songs, it's annoying as shit.....I have this on a DVD and watched it the other day....... :roll: Also listen to how clean Ed's amp is, not much distortion at all.....on top of that broken coil pickup....