Marshall 2203 REEEEEEEEEEE-work

Post your amp/pedal/guitar/etc builds here
PLX
Executive

Marshall 2203 REEEEEEEEEEE-work

Post by PLX »

Turret board removed.

Just picked up a stash of NOS caps at the mailbox.

Thank you, HD :!: You da man !

harddriver
Grand Poobah

Re: Marshall 2203 REEEEEEEEEEE-work

Post by harddriver »

Glad you got em... :D but somewhere there is disappointed child walking around without NOS capacitors up his nose....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now let's turn that amp into a ED spec plexi from Planet X............................................. 8-) 8-)

If you are gonna rebuild the board I would seriously consider gutting all the cathode and coupling caps for the new Synergy Royal mustards but I think you said your caps were the Sozo next gen which are supposed to be the exact same cap according to what I have read.

Have you listened to those RT mod clips with the new production Mojotone Dijons? i think they sound great as well.

Looking forward to the progress reports. I'll try pull the chassis on my 72 and snap a pic or two and send it to you but it's exactly like the split cathode 71 layout I sent ya beside me upping the 100K resistor to like 470K or so before the 1 meg volume pot because it was too much gain for me. I''ll have a look today or tomorrow and let you know what I settled on.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:03 pm Glad you got em... :D but somewhere there is disappointed child walking around without NOS capacitors up his nose....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now let's turn that amp into a ED spec plexi from Planet X............................................. 8-) 8-)

If you are gonna rebuild the board I would seriously consider gutting all the cathode and coupling caps for the new Synergy Royal mustards but I think you said your caps were the Sozo next gen which are supposed to be the exact same cap according to what I have read.

Have you listened to those RT mod clips with the new production Mojotone Dijons? i think they sound great as well.

Looking forward to the progress reports. I'll try pull the chassis on my 72 and snap a pic or two and send it to you but it's exactly like the split cathode 71 layout I sent ya beside me upping the 100K resistor to like 470K or so before the 1 meg volume pot because it was too much gain for me. I''ll have a look today or tomorrow and let you know what I settled on.
Yeah, I always like the R/T mod stuff and how it sounded. He gets a good crunch outta his amps and they sound good thru just a camcorder mic :!:

I'm looking over my components and getting a parts order together for this project now.

Seriously thinking about gutting the turret board completely and starting from scratch on this one.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

PLX wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:23 pm
Yeah, I always like the R/T mod stuff and how it sounded. He gets a good crunch outta his amps and they sound good thru just a camcorder mic :!:

I'm looking over my components and getting a parts order together for this project now.

Seriously thinking about gutting the turret board completely and starting from scratch on this one.
Maybe not a bad idea there PLX... All new components for new build. I would even replace the IN4007 diodes in the rectification and bias circuit. Dave Friedman said this latest batch of Synergy Msutards are the closest new production he has heard compared to NOS mustards but they actually handle high gain circuits better. I think Dave F has always had a good ear.

I only had a short lead .68uf Mustard when I needed one for my 72 Marshall V2A slot and I picked up some Synergy Royal Mustards and it sounds great. If I had a plexi build in front me if I couldn't find NOS it would be the Synergy's for me. I wouldn't mind giving the new Mojo Dijons a spin either those new Mojo plexi build that RT Mike has posted sound great, I was intrigued by them.

My 5 watt single ended Marshall 5275 chassis 1x12 amp still has some original Sozos in the coupling caps positions but i recently swapped out the Sozo .68uf for a Illinois MPW polypropylene( Love it) it's aggressive and crunchy as heck..... 8-) :o If I get a wild hair up my butt I may swap the rest of the gen 1 sozo's for MPW's that I had left over since my high gainer Zilla build. I built the 5 watter amp in 2006/2007, it was my first amp build. It's a 2203 with a Jose master now, it's a killer little practice amp, I have a Celestion G1265 reissue in it. While I was in there I upgraded the 3 way bright cap switch on the preamp gain pot to 2000pf and 1000pf ala Cameron with older BC components ceramic caps, they sound awesome I had a hard time finding them. These are slated for my last Cameron Psychodave Jose as well.

I have the empty chassis ready, I just need to find the time and inspiration to complete it. :oops: :oops: :cry: I am still undecided if I want to install the Metro loop or not as I have to change some shit to make it work with the Jose master.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

Well, I found an unexpected problem after I removed the turret board..

The two wires coming out of the choke are super thin gauge wires that have completely degraded over time. It's the original choke. This is/was a 1989 Laney AOR 100 series II, so the Laney part number is Reactor Coil #6013.

From the best I can find, it directly corresponds to a Drake 1471-263 from a Marshall JCM 800.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

PLX wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:32 am Well, I found an unexpected problem after I removed the turret board..

The two wires coming out of the choke are super thin gauge wires that have completely degraded over time. It's the original choke. This is/was a 1989 Laney AOR 100 series II, so the Laney part number is Reactor Coil #6013.

From the best I can find, it directly corresponds to a Drake 1471-263 from a Marshall JCM 800.
Can you get the Metro Plexi Drake replica 3 henry choke, that what I have in my 68 and had in the 69 and it is killer. If you can't get the plexi the JCM800 choke should work just fine. I see Vavlestorm has brand new 1959 plexi 1969 circuit boards with the turret's ready to go $35.00 buck and $40.00 with double turrets if you like those.

I'm just sitting here re-watchin Jim Gaustad VH II video.
Last edited by harddriver on Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

I found these at Triode electronics in Chicago, they are good to deal with. A 3 Henry Plexi style, I can't remember if my Metro clone choke was 3 or 5 henry. They also have a 5 henry JCM800, they are classictone so I don't know if they still have them instock anymore.

http://www.triodeelectronics.com/40-18058.html

http://www.triodeelectronics.com/vistmajmpjcm.html

My chokes must be 3 henry chokes in my 68 and 69 they were the Metro plexi drake chokes replicas, I think Heyboer made them.

https://shop.amppartsdirect.com/product ... by-heyboer
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:50 am My chokes must be 3 henry chokes in my 68 and 69 they were the Metro plexi drake chokes replicas, I think Heyboer made them.
There's no writing anywhere on the actual choke..

The DC resistance measures 115Ω

It should be a 3H choke.

MojoTone sells a drop-in replacement for the JCM 800 that has a spec of 3H and 106Ω
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

I checked Amplified Parts as well.. their specs on that part do not look right at all. They say it's a 5H choke :?

What's up with Marstran ?

They still in business ?