BYOC Yellow Overdrive Build

Post your amp/pedal/guitar/etc builds here
lll
Middle Manager

BYOC Yellow Overdrive Build

Post by lll »

Clip off/on here:

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=462

=============================================================================================

Not too bad a project, but lots of "tiny" work and tiny parts where I actually had to get the magnifying glass.

Definitely need a helping hands utility; a lifesaver. There's no way you're gonna solder this sucker together without them.

Prepping the teeny-tiny wires for the 3DPDT is a chore.

Anyways, it's done. And sounds frigging great!

This is another killer boost for Marshalls (have to try my blackface Fender yet).

Has a natural hi-pass (no flub here) and the asymmetrical clipping gives it just the right bite - "warm crunch" is what comes to mind.

The tone is so good, you don't need a tone knob. No shit.

So here's some pics; I went with a simple Sunshine Yellow gloss with 3 flat black bumblebee stripes.
a.jpg
b.jpg
c.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by lll on Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
lll
Middle Manager

Re: BYOC Yellow OVerdrive Build

Post by lll »

d.jpg
e.jpg
f.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
lll
Middle Manager

Re: BYOC Yellow OVerdrive Build

Post by lll »

g.jpg
h.jpg
i.jpg
PLX
Executive

Re: BYOC Yellow Overdrive Build

Post by PLX »

I recognize that paint color.

It looks just like my 1977 MXR Distortion+ bud box.'' :D
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

PLX wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:37 pm I recognize that paint color.

It looks just like my 1977 MXR Distortion+ bud box.'' :D
I used this:
61sM-hy6gnL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

Nice build there III. So it's a Boss OD-1 pedal with the Raytheon/NEC Chip?

I had an original Thunder Tomate Taxi Driver OD-1 with the NEC dual op amp chip. It was cool but I can't say it was magically better than a good SD-1 with JRC4558 chip YMMV.

Congrats on the pedal!
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

harddriver wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:23 pm Nice build there III. So it's a Boss OD-1 pedal with the Raytheon/NEC Chip?

I had an original Thunder Tomate Taxi Driver OD-1 with the NEC dual op amp chip. It was cool but I can't say it was magically better than a good SD-1 with JRC4558 chip YMMV.

Congrats on the pedal!
Yes it's the 14 pin Raytheon chip.

I did some research and found out there were 4 (four!) versions of the BOSS OD-1:

lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

harddriver wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:23 pm It was cool but I can't say it was magically better than a good SD-1 with JRC4558 chip YMMV.
I just got an MXR Custom Badass Modified OD (which is based on their Zakk Wylde OD, which is based on the BOSS SD-1) as well.

Both of these stomps are killer Marshall boosts. I'd say the SD-1 has a little less mids vs. the OD-1.
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

Clip off/on here:

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=462
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

A BYOC Yellow Orderdrive showed up on Reverb already built for $50.00 and I blame you for my purchase! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

For $50 bucks I couldn't pass it up and it will be interesting how it sound against my SRB OD808/SD-1.

Having had boutique Thunder Tomate OD-1 over ten years ago with the 14 pin Opamp chip it will be interesting to hear it and see what I think about it now.