Naga Viper Clone Pedal Build

Post your amp/pedal/guitar/etc builds here
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Re: Naga Viper Clone Pedal Build

Post by harddriver »

The L500XL has this clarity and clank to the tone but it's thin sounding.

The Duncan Custom also has this PAF type clarity and note separation to it but it's thick, well balanced, gainy, cleans up decent with the volume knob yet still sounds good doing other tones like EVH and multiple others. It's why Seymour calls it a high ouput PAF type "ON Steroids".

I personally like Seymour's offerings in the 12-13k range because they have even more clarity then the SH-5 custom an evem more PAF like but crunch and grind and push the amp still. I find the 14K actually pushes too much mids, 12-13k have less mid emphasis. The overwinding tends to create the mids and compression increase which is why most people like them for alot of different tones. I have found the 12-13K rides that line of PAF and High Output. That's why at times I hear some ED tones come out of NUNO, that PAF clank and attack with the L500XL.

I'll offer one more unsolicited suggestion to PLX since he says he don't like the SH-5 custom and then I'll shut up. :lol:

Seymour Duncan SH-6N.........The SH-6N is the Seymourizer II 12.5-13.5K(they vary) Ceramic magnet pickup wind, I like closer to 12.6K, all my old ones are around this. He started using this wind to pair with his SH-6 Duncan Distortion models. Yet it's the pretty much the same pickup as his vintage Seymourizers. Maybe the new Wes Hauch model(14K) will cop a good NUNO and DIme but I can't vouch for it yet since i haven't played it.

I'm just trying to help a brutha out to reach his maximum NUNO...................... :D
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:33 pm The L500XL has this clarity and clank to the tone but it's thin sounding.

The Duncan Custom also has this PAF type clarity and note separation to it but it's thick, well balanced, gainy, cleans up decent with the volume knob yet still sounds good doing other tones like EVH and multiple others. It's why Seymour calls it a high ouput PAF type "ON Steroids".

I personally like Seymour's offerings in the 12-13k range because they have even more clarity then the SH-5 custom an evem more PAF like but crunch and grind and push the amp still. I find the 14K actually pushes too much mids, 12-13k have less mid emphasis. The overwinding tends to create the mids and compression increase which is why most people like them for alot of different tones. I have found the 12-13K rides that line of PAF and High Output. That's why at times I hear some ED tones come out of NUNO, that PAF clank and attack with the L500XL.

I'll offer one more unsolicited suggestion to PLX since he says he don't like the SH-5 custom and then I'll shut up. :lol:

Seymour Duncan SH-6N.........The SH-6N is the Seymourizer II 12.5-13.5K(they vary) Ceramic magnet pickup wind, I like closer to 12.6K, all my old ones are around this. He started using this wind to pair with his SH-6 Duncan Distortion models. Yet it's the pretty much the same pickup as his vintage Seymourizers. Maybe the new Wes Hauch model(14K) will cop a good NUNO and DIme but I can't vouch for it yet since i haven't played it.

I'm just trying to help a brutha out to reach his maximum NUNO...................... :D
I tried the SH-5 thru this JCM-800 many years ago, and didn't like it. It just didn't work with my hands, or perhaps the guitar I had at that time.

If I do decide to try a 15-ish KΩ humbucker, I think I will try either a Bill & Becky L500-XL (which I have never tried. The one I had was the Bill Lawrence USA brand one), or the Jalen "Fair Warning".
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

I still see people saying the B&B L500XL is somewhat thin sounding...look up the threads over at Euro Talk they are there. And even if it is better than the BLUSA ones it still will only do a good NUNO and no other styles/tones. These are just my humble observations.

My suggestions still stand for a pickup that will do the styles you like to play, do them well and not be thin and icepicky...............

Can you honestly say the clips that lll and I have posted with the SH-5 suck? You really haven't commented on them?

I think an asymmetrically wound JB will get you FW tone and maybe some Demartini tone, I could be all wrong about it since I have not played one but I can speak about the ones I have played. ;)

Since you are adverse to the SH-5 then pick up a used SH6N and see what you think...............it won't be trem spaced but none of them were in the 80's........ ;) I've made my legal case to you sir, the Defense RESTS.................... :lol:
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:10 pm I still see people saying the B&B L500XL is somewhat thin sounding...look up the threads over at Euro Talk they are there. And even if it is better than the BLUSA ones it still will only do a good NUNO and no other styles/tones. These are just my humble observations.

My suggestions still stand for a pickup that will do the styles you like to play, do them well and not be thin and icepicky...............

Can you honestly say the clips that lll and I have posted with the SH-5 suck? You really haven't commented on them?

I think an asymmetrically wound JB will get you FW tone and maybe some Demartini tone, I could be all wrong about it since I have not played one but I can speak about the ones I have played. ;)

Since you are adverse to the SH-5 then pick up a used SH6N and see what you think...............it won't be trem spaced but none of them were in the 80's........ ;) I've made my legal case to you sir, the Defense RESTS.................... :lol:
You guys clips sound great :!:

At this point, I think we could hand LLL a $50 Mexican Strat off Ebay with single coils and he could produce a clip that sounded like Warren DeMartini.

I'm leaning away from the Bill & Becky L500-XL only because I don't like the "blade" pickups. The BL-USA one I had was thin.. my first guitar was a 1967 Gibson Melody Maker with thick blade single coils and I hated those too. :x

If I'm still not happy I will prolly go for the Jalen FW in double black.

I wish Don Barzini was selling those for $75 instead the double cream bobbins. :lol:
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

If you are stuck on a JB type then look into the new Duncan Dave Mustaine Thrash Factor pickup. It is supposed to be a copy of a favorite JB pickup that Dave used on almost all their albums. It is supposed to be tighter that a standard JB.

In 1990 Megadeth released their landmark fourth album, “Rust In Peace.” Widely regarded as one of the most iconic and influential metal albums of all time, its breakneck rhythms, intricate arrangements, shifting time signatures, and blazing dual lead guitar lines showcased the band’s mastery of their craft.

During the recording of the album, Dave relied heavily on one guitar in particular that was loaded with a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and 59 model in the neck. According to Dave, that JB had a tone that was different from an ‘off-the-shelf’ JB – and had become part of his signature sound.

We worked closely with Dave to recreate the tone and feel of his favorite JB, ultimately altering the winding process in order to achieve the tone he was looking for – compared to the standard JB model, the Thrash Factor’s low end is tighter, the mids are slightly scooped, and the highs are more aggressive.

The set includes Dave’s preferred neck pickup, the SH-1n 59 model, in matching matte finish. The Dave Mustaine Signature Thrash Factor high output passive humbucker pickup is hand built in Santa Barbara, California.
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

PLX wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:55 pm I tried the SH-5 thru this JCM-800 many years ago, and didn't like it. It just didn't work with my hands, or perhaps the guitar I had at that time.
Yes but isn't the amp totally different now after the REEEEEEEEEE work?
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

I know you said your layout is one of the very early 2203's that differ somewhat on how they cascade the gain stages. Is there a way to make the early JCM spec and the later switchable so you have both designs.

Does your's have the 10K cold clipper stage?
Last edited by harddriver on Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

PLX wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:18 pm
harddriver wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:10 pm
At this point, I think we could hand LLL a $50 Mexican Strat off Ebay with single coils and he could produce a clip that sounded like Warren DeMartini.

I wish Don Barzini was selling those for $75 instead the double cream bobbins. :lol:
At this point if you picked up a used SH-6N and used your new Rat pedal you may come the conclusion that lll and I might be correct........ ;)

You may love the FW pickup but it's probably not going to be tight enough to do Nuno, even though the L500XL is thin, it's tight and has tons of clarity. IMHO this pickup is gonna be the closest you are going to get to the L500XL tone that doesn't have all the drawbacks of the L500XL. What's that magic number??????????

Here is directly from Duncans website for the SH-6N

OUTPUT
Neck L
H
DCR: Neck 13.00k
Cable: 4c Shielded
Type: Passive

Summary
Neck version of original high output ceramic humbucker design, perfectly calibrated to pair with the Duncan Distortion Bridge for a full frontal heavy assault.

Description
Originally known as the SH-7 Seymourizer, the Duncan Distortion neck pickup is specifically designed for use with the matching high output bridge version. It is hot enough to deliver smooth, fluid solo tones under high gain, while still producing bell-like clean tones. Pair with the Duncan Distortion bridge model for a killer high output setup.Hand built in our Santa Barbara, CA factory, the Duncan Distortion uses a large ceramic bar magnet, nickel silver bottom plate, 4-conductor lead wire for multiple wiring options, and is vacuum wax potted for squeal-free performance.

Ok at this point I feel like I'm pushing a chain uphill............... :P :lol:

It's all in good fun, we all like what we like.................. ;)
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:10 pm Yes but isn't the amp totally different now after the REEEEEEEEEE work?
Sure, but I just cleaned up and did some maintenance on a 33-year-old amp.

It's still a Marshall JCM-800 clone.
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

harddriver wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:22 pmand is vacuum wax potted for squeal-free performance.
Squeal-free? Then there'll be no REEEEEEEEEEEEE!
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.