Naga Viper Clone Pedal Build

Post your amp/pedal/guitar/etc builds here
PLX
Executive

Re: Naga Viper Clone Pedal Build

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:22 am You mean to tell me PLX that throughout all your EVH tone questing you never tried a DUNCAN SH-5 Custom???????????????? I don't believe it????? :P

That can't be? Right after the PAF there was the CUSTOM? :lol:

You gotta have one in your pickup drawer somewhere?????????????????????????????? ;)
No, I did.

I took it apart along with my Duncan '59 and made the "Hybrid" thing.. still have it.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

PLX wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:22 am Nobody has tried that "Jalen Fair Warning" pickup ?

The one Jim Gaustad developed.. 15.5KΩ asymmetric wind.. :?:
I'm not gonna, I tend to not like JB's in my guitars. FW is a very specific Ed tone, kinda like his PAF tone, it really only works for ED and his setup and hands usually.

I didn't say JB or the FW pickup did I? 8-)

Even lll's clip using the JB with the ADA MP1 sounded like NUNO or damn close...again my point being I think you're gonna need something more than 8.5K. The SH-5 Custom is my recommendation to you. Between myself and lll I don't think we would steer you in the wrong direction. 8-)
Last edited by harddriver on Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

PLX wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:23 am
No, I did.

I took it apart along with my Duncan '59 and made the "Hybrid" thing.. still have it.
I think that may have been a mistake. I tried the 59 hybrid thing too but i did it on used pickups I bought cheap, I never parted out my Seymourizer II's.

I'd snag a used SH-5 instead of trying to rebuild one.
Last edited by harddriver on Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:29 am I think that may have been a mistake. I tried the 59 hybrid thing too but i did it used pickup I bought cheap, I never parted out my Seymourizer II's.

I used the Duncan '59 for many years, but wanted a higher output pickup. I tried the "Custom" and the "Custom Custom", meh.

Made the "Hybrid" and I liked it, but I like Jeff's version better.

The Hybrid measured 11.2KΩ
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

PLX wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:35 am
harddriver wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:29 am I think that may have been a mistake. I tried the 59 hybrid thing too but i did it used pickup I bought cheap, I never parted out my Seymourizer II's.

I used the Duncan '59 for many years, but wanted a higher output pickup. I tried the "Custom" and the "Custom Custom", meh.

Made the "Hybrid" and I liked it, but I like Jeff's version better.

The Hybrid measured 11.2KΩ
Try the Hybrid then...........I think it will fall short as well. The only other pickup that I think can get that tight Nuno tone is the Duncan Seymourizer II with the short rough cast ceramic magnet at 12.5K ohms. 13K seems to the magic output resistance amount for some reason. 12-14K.

FWIW I hated the Custom Custom same as you............ ;) I felt it was muddy. The SH-5 custom I had was a late 80's one. I don't know what the new ones sound like.

Put it this way...as much as I love my Duncan 78 Model I would never expect that pickup to sound anywhere close to NUNO no matter what magnet was swapped into to it. 13K is the magic number......................... ;)

Here's my SH-5 custom with an SD-1 into a totally stock 69 NOS build Marshall, with Classic tone and Metro 1998C output transformers, volume on 7 with a PPIMV THD hotplate set to -8 DB. I rest my case............. ;)
Last edited by harddriver on Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

I've gotten so many killer tones over the years from my SH-5 Custom.

I also use it for:

Nuno
EVH early albums (and 1984 with some midrange EQing)
Tony Iommi
Ronni LeTekro
Boston
anybody who uses a DiM Super Distortion
etc
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

I have an old pre-1983 SH-5 Custom

I also got a new SH-5 Custom several years back.

I did a spectrum analysis of these 2 SH-5s using IIRC Voxengo Curve EQ plugin same years back, and they're almost 100% the same.

Apparently, ceramic magnets do not degauss over time like A5, A2... or at least, they take much much longer to do so.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

lll wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:47 am I have an old pre-1983 SH-5 Custom

I did a spectrum analysis of these 2 SH-5s using IIRC Voxengo Curve EQ plugin same years back, and they're almost 100% the same.

Apparently, ceramic magnets do not degauss over time like A5, A2... or at least, they take much much longer to do so.
That's cool to hear that they are close even with newer wire and magnet stocks with different metallurgy. 8-)
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:47 am I have an old pre-1983 SH-5 Custom

Ceramic magnets can become demagnetized if they are exposed to temperatures above 480 degrees Fahrenheit.

So, don't bring your guitar to Bandera in August.

:|
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

Harddriver is right (and I didn't realize this until more info came out with spilling of the beans ha ha), you're gonna want a hotter pickup (~13-14K so to speak) to get in the correct gain level territory for certain stuff you're doing.

I wrote a bunch of gobblety-gook here about the topic:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=5392&p=16735#p16735