Post your amp/pedal/guitar/etc builds here
lll
Middle Manager

Re: Naga Viper Clone Pedal Build

Post by lll »

Are you going to do up a graphic on the pedal that says:

MAGA VIPER

:?: :lol:
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:49 pm Are you going to do up a graphic on the pedal that says:

MAGA VIPER

I'm doing a two-channel version of the Naga Viper.

It's gonna have a ProCoRat on channel 1 and a Naga Viper on channel 2 with the ability to run the RAT into the Viper.

It'll be named the "Ultra Maga®".
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

PLX wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:22 pm
lll wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:49 pm Are you going to do up a graphic on the pedal that says:

MAGA VIPER

It's gonna have a ProCoRat on channel 1 and a Naga Viper on channel 2 with the ability to run the RAT into the Viper.

:lol:
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

After ordering all components, circuit board, enclosure : $42.34

I found that I had some components in my parts stash leftover from previous pedal builds, so that prolly knocked off about $10.

;)
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

PLX wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:22 pm

MAGA VIPER

That will be cool............Look for the LM308N flat IC chip for your Rat side PLX.......I don't know if the metal can ones sound different or not, I think only the very early Rat's had the metal can LM308H IC. From 84 on they were all the flat LM308N chips.

III just posted some clips showing what the Rat does for NUNO tone, Me and III weren't blowing smoke up yur skirt PLX!

If ya want NUNO ya gotta have a Rat with an LM308N chip IMHO......... ;)
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:16 am That will be cool............Look for the LM308N flat IC chip for your Rat side PLX.......I don't know if the metal can ones sound different or not, I think only the very early Rat's had the metal can LM308H IC. From 84 on they were all the flat LM308N chips.

III just posted some clips showing what the Rat does for NUNO tone, Me and III weren't blowing smoke up yur skirt PLX!

If ya want NUNO ya gotta have a Rat with an LM308N chip IMHO......... ;)
Naw, we were just joking around about the RAT pedal.

This is the Naga Viper clone, which is just a modded Rangemaster.

I'll prolly build a RAT clone next. :D
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

PLX wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:29 pm I'll prolly build a RAT clone next. :D
Unless (in the future) you'll be dying for a new build project, bored or whatever, the retail RAT is so cheap cost-wise that it offsets the time and effort to build a clone, and you'll have "insta-RAT" in your hands; ready to go (instead of waiting while the build takes place).

Plus the retail RAT has glow-in-the dark lettering under the mylar and knob markers. :shock: :lol:
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:19 pm
Unless (in the future) you'll be dying for a new build project, bored or whatever, the retail RAT is so cheap cost-wise that it offsets the time and effort to build a clone, and you'll have "insta-RAT" in your hands; ready to go (instead of waiting while the build takes place).

Plus the retail RAT has glow-in-the dark lettering under the mylar and knob markers. :shock: :lol:
Yeah, but they solder the OP07 chip into the board, rather than using a DIP socket.

That makes it a pain to try another OP AMP chip.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

lll wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:19 pm

I've been trying to push him into the instant Rat gratification pedal acquisition mode.......he aint goin for it........ :roll: :lol:
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

PLX wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:23 pm Yeah, but they solder the OP07 chip into the board, rather than using a DIP socket.

That makes it a pain to try another OP AMP chip.
Ah - thought you were of the opinion (and saw that graph) that there's no audible difference.

That would be my surmising, anyways - I did some digging before I made my purchase half a year ago and that is what the consensus was.