Naga Viper Clone Pedal Build

Post your amp/pedal/guitar/etc builds here
lll
Middle Manager

Re: Naga Viper Clone Pedal Build

Post by lll »

PLX wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:17 pm
lll wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:00 pmClips or REEEEEEEEE
No offense, but I'm not hearing the Rangemaster effect here.

If this is a true Naga Viper clone, try running it in "pure Rangemaster" mode - crank all three knobs, into a slightly cooking tube amp...
...then adjust center knob (level) to taste.

The left knob is a handy hi-pass filter, turned all the way clockwise, it's just like the Rangemaster. turn it counter-clockwise, and more bass freqs are introduced.

The right knob is the drive / dirt...

The center knob is the level.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:08 am No offense, but I'm not hearing the Rangemaster effect here.

If this is a true Naga Viper clone, try running it in "pure Rangemaster" mode - crank all three knobs, into a slightly cooking tube amp...
...then adjust center knob (level) to taste.

The left knob is a handy hi-pass filter, turned all the way clockwise, it's just like the Rangemaster. turn it counter-clockwise, and more bass freqs are introduced.

The right knob is the drive / dirt...

The center knob is the level.
Naw, that's just GTR3 plug-in which I loaded this morning and have been working with all day.

I'm running the Nembrini RAT plug-in into an amp sim in GTR3.

I understand what the ProCo RAT does now.. it sounds just like my old MXR Distortion+ but with an added filter/phase control.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

PLX wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:20 am
Naw, that's just GTR3 plug-in which I loaded this morning and have been working with all day.

I'm running the Nembrini RAT plug-in into an amp sim in GTR3.

I understand what the ProCo RAT does now.. it sounds just like my old MXR Distortion+ but with an added filter/phase control.
That really doesn't sound like a Rat pedal to my ears to be honest. :P If you asked me to guess what pedal you were using in that clip I would not have said a RAT.

I was a huge RR fan in the 80's and I ran an MXR Distortion + for a long time in front of my 2203, I finally got away from it in the 90's.

I still disagree with you about the Distortion plus being an equivalent to the RAT...there's more going on with how the RAT interacts especially in the pinched harmonic departments. I never ever confused Randy Rhodes tone with Nuno's, they are two distinctly different amp tones.

Now I do hear some overlap between Dime and Nuno on some stuff but that the L500XL similarities.

I think when you plug the real Rat with those NUNO settings into your JCM800 REEEEEEEEEEEEAMP you'll truly understand what myself and lll keep going on about. The Rat jus that thing going on.... especialy for Nuno and I even think it sounds great doing a super crunchy Badlands.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:11 am That really doesn't sound like a Rat pedal to my ears to be honest. :P If you asked me to guess what pedal you were using in that clip I would not have said a RAT.

I was a huge RR fan in the 80's and I ran an MXR Distortion + for a long time in front of my 2203, I finally got away from it in the 90's.

I still disagree with you about the Distortion plus being an equivalent to the RAT...there's more going on with how the RAT interacts especially in the pinched harmonic departments. I never ever confused Randy Rhodes tone with Nuno's, they are two distinctly different amp tones.

Now I do hear some overlap between Dime and Nuno on some stuff but that the L500XL similarities.

I think when you plug the real Rat with those NUNO settings into your JCM800 REEEEEEEEEEEEAMP you'll truly understand what myself and lll keep going on about. The Rat jus that thing going on.... especialy for Nuno and I even think it sounds great doing a super crunchy Badlands.
Here's how I'm running the RAT plug-in:

Oh, no doubt.. an actual RAT pedal running into the front of a JCM-800 is going to sound waaaaay better than any plug-in glade air freshener amp.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

PLX wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:21 pm
Sounds good, but a bit in the background.

I'm curious if you were to manually double the part and pan the two tracks wide L & R - how heavy it would sound.

Also may need a touch of bite... maybe 3KHz a couple dBs up.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

PLX wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:21 pm
Sound like what i hear in lll's clips of it.....NICE!

But I won't be able to really hear it until you play "The Mob Rules" or "Children of the Sea".......................... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)

Is this one of your amp sims or your real mic's amp?

I heard feedback at the beginning so this might be your amp...................... ;)

Those are Bonham drums if I ever heard it! :D
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

Ok, I tried all suggestions. I think this does sound better.

This is Super70 pickup, Naga Viper, GTR3 amp sim:

That's my friend Adrianos from England on the drums. I contacted him thru Soundcloud and we collaborate on some tracks.

HD, I told him he sounds just like Bonham.. :lol:

harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

Can you get that GTR3 Amp sim to feedback through your studio monitors? I swear I hear feedback at the beginning of the tune...... :roll:
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:46 pm Can you get that GTR3 Amp sim to feedback through your studio monitors? I swear I hear feedback at the beginning of the tune...... :roll:
Yeah, the amp sims I've tried lately are pretty convincing.

I just downloaded GTR3 from Waves.com a couple days ago and started trying out the plug-ins.