RAT Pedal Clone Build

Post your amp/pedal/guitar/etc builds here
PLX
Executive

Re: RAT Pedal Clone Build

Post by PLX »

main circuit board completed, breakout board, final clearcoat on enclosure, ready for final assembly:

PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

final assembly:

PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

final wiring. semiconductors installed:

quick test clip using LED clipping mode

diode clipping mode 2
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

quick test clip using LED clipping mode

diode clipping mode 2

[/quote]

Is this into one of your amp sims or your real amp?

After having finally played a Rat now...What do you think about it? What do you feel it brings to the table for Nuno tone? What do you hear?

The regular diodes( whatever the stock Rat configuration is) clip sounded the best and the closest to NUNO tone you have posted yet. ;)

I believe the LED Rat version in the clipping diodes was the Turbo Rat pedal. I tried the LED's in that OD-1 clone I didn't care for them in that pedal either.

What does that SWEEP knob on you pedal do? Does it focus frequencies of the filter? Where do you set it for a 100% stock Rat?
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

Since you like AlNico 8 magnets I found you a pickup that you might like made by Scottosan. It's a 13.9K pickup with the A-8 magnet it's aggressive as hell yet it's got alot of clarity and punch much like the Duncan Custom. I think it would be a contender against the L500XL and I think they are like $99.00 bucks right now and in TEXAS. It's right at the magic number of 13.9K...( 8-)

https://www.tonenerdpickups.com/

The Roxy is ~17.6k/short roughcast A5@ 7150 winds of 44awg. The Wicked 8 is ~14k/roughcast A8@7000 winds of 43awg. The Wicked 8 is is the hotter of the 2 due to the magnet. The wicked 8 cleans up insanely well. Both are aggressive and open, but the wicked is just insidious

PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:06 pm Is this into one of your amp sims or your real amp?

After having finally played a Rat now...What do you think about it? What do you feel it brings to the table for Nuno tone? What do you hear?

The regular diodes( whatever the stock Rat configuration is) clip sounded the best and the closest to NUNO tone you have posted yet. ;)

I believe the LED Rat version in the clipping diodes was the Turbo Rat pedal. I tried the LED's in that OD-1 clone I didn't care for them in that pedal either.

What does that SWEEP knob on you pedal do? Does it focus frequencies of the filter? Where do you set it for a 100% stock Rat?
This is the asymmetric wind humbucker A8 magnet > RAT pedal > JCM-800 > reactive load > line out > DAW > EQ > cab & mic sims > EQ > double tracked

I think it's great :!: I didn't spend much time tweaking the controls, I just got a sound and recorded some tracks.

I did take you guys' advice and turned the master volume up to 4, the mid to 7, treble to 4 on the JCM-800

I agree.. the LED's sound good but it's too soft for Nuno's tone.

The Sweep knob (also called the “Ruetz mod” after Philip Ruetz of Ruetz Amplification who came up with it) puts some resistance in series with one of the low-end filters in the op-amp gain stage which changes the EQ and feel of the pedal.
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

PLX wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:36 am Image
diode clipping mode 2
This one (clip) - and love the rat graphic.

Notice the "pokiness" in the tone? Percussive pokiness.

Good overall tone... but still, you need more gainzzz.

It's time to stop fucking around with PAFish outputs and get a hotter pickup for this kind of guitar tone. :lol:

The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

Either that or crank that amp. "4" on master volume is peanutsville. Try 7 or 8.

Remember when trying to tone clone, use what they used and use it the way they used it.

No way in hell Nuno is playing his amp (ADA in this case, for the song He Man Woman Hater) with the gain and grunt that low.

Most of our guitar heroes cranked their amps.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:13 pm Either that or crank that amp. "4" on master volume is peanutsville. Try 7 or 8.

Remember when trying to tone clone, use what they used and use it the way they used it.

No way in hell Nuno is playing his amp (ADA in this case, for the song He Man Woman Hater) with the gain and grunt that low.

Most of our guitar heroes cranked their amps.
I was just telling HD that the mistake I been making with that amp was not turning up the master volume after switching from playing thru the 4X12 cab to silent recording thru the reactive load box.

I can't be in the same room with the amp/cab over 2 on the master volume. It's just too fucking loud, and I'm right next to it (10x10 room). :D

Once I turned the master vol up to 4 and recorded those clips, I was like, "Fuckin' hell !" why didn't I do that before. I can run it wide open into that 500W reactive load. Those amps just don't sound right at low volumes.

:lol:
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

PLX wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:19 pm I was just telling HD that the mistake I been making with that amp was not turning up the master volume after switching from playing thru the 4X12 cab to silent recording thru the reactive load box.

I can't be in the same room with the amp/cab over 2 on the master volume. It's just too fucking loud, and I'm right next to it (10x10 room). :D

Once I turned the master vol up to 4 and recorded those clips, I was like, "Fuckin' hell !" why didn't I do that before. I can run it wide open into that 500W reactive load. Those amps just don't sound right at low volumes.

:lol:
Yes.

Thought you were running into a reactive load...

It should be silent on the amp/cab side and you monitor your tone through your DAW's speakers (at any volume).