EBMM or Gibson

Yakk about your gear
mrdowntown
FNG

EBMM or Gibson

Post by mrdowntown »

I’m on the fence here.

A new EBMM cutlass Hss or a used LP 58 custom reissue?
There’s not a spits difference in the two prices honestly. The LP is a little more but no biggie.

I know they’re two very different guitars but both are pulling at me pretty hard.

I know very little about LPs…as in some years of production may be better or worse than others. The LP I’m looking at is a 14/15 model. :dunno: The one thing about the LP that concerns me is the tuning stability. I’ve read that’s a real issue on some. You’d think with such a high priced guitar that wouldn’t be in the equation. But again … :dunno:

Any input or advice….what would you do? Lol
WGAFISHOME
Recruit

Re: EBMM or Gibson

Post by WGAFISHOME »

mrdowntown wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:28 am I’m on the fence here.

A new EBMM cutlass Hss or a used LP 58 custom reissue?
There’s not a spits difference in the two prices honestly. The LP is a little more but no biggie.

I know they’re two very different guitars but both are pulling at me pretty hard.

I know very little about LPs…as in some years of production may be better or worse than others. The LP I’m looking at is a 14/15 model. :dunno: The one thing about the LP that concerns me is the tuning stability. I’ve read that’s a real issue on some. You’d think with such a high priced guitar that wouldn’t be in the equation. But again … :dunno:

Any input or advice….what would you do? Lol
It's a tough question alright.

A good Les Paul is a thing of beauty and the resale is always there for you.

Can you please show us some pics of this Les Paul?

I do like EBs but they're a kit guitar to me & the Les Paul is more.

If you got pics I can give you more advice quickly & easily.

You're not a single coil guy I gather?
mrdowntown
FNG

Post by mrdowntown »

i like single coils ok...but something about the buckers i just like

here's the Ad write up:
MINT condition Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop R8... AKA 58 reissue. I believe this guitar is a 2014 / 15 model and is in excellent condition. No dings, no buckle rash, no mods, breaks nor repairs. It has never left my home and hasn't had much playing time. I have owned a lot of Les Pauls over the years ranging from off the shelf Studios to high end custom shop stuff and this one has the MOJO! Plays and sounds amazing! The original Gibson hard case with all original case candy is also included.

here's the pics (if the link works):
https://www.flickr.com/gp/138266949@N06/0B2J24
WGAFISHOME
Recruit

Post by WGAFISHOME »

mrdowntown wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:02 pm i like single coils ok...but something about the buckers i just like

here's the Ad write up:
MINT condition Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop R8... AKA 58 reissue. I believe this guitar is a 2014 / 15 model and is in excellent condition. No dings, no buckle rash, no mods, breaks nor repairs. It has never left my home and hasn't had much playing time. I have owned a lot of Les Pauls over the years ranging from off the shelf Studios to high end custom shop stuff and this one has the MOJO! Plays and sounds amazing! The original Gibson hard case with all original case candy is also included.

here's the pics (if the link works):
https://www.flickr.com/gp/138266949@N06/0B2J24
Okay, not the prettiest Les Paul to 'me'.

One important thing when buying a Les Paul, ALWAYS & ONLY buy one with a super dark fretboard. They look best and it will also resale SUPER FAST.

This Les Paul's board is way too light in color.

Also the Lemon Drop color sort of defeats the beauty of a contrast colored flame top which a custom shop should be all about in every instance.

If it's SUPER cheap maybe, if not cheap pass on it.

Bucker sound?

Here is THE recipe for a Strat that will ALWAYS be able to easily keep up with a buckered guitar.

1) Strat
2) Good set of single Coils. (Suhr come to mind) Even if you only install a bridge pick up.
3) Wire the tone control to your bridge pick up (roll off to 'about' 5 when using it)
4) Illitch silent back plate installed
5) Fulldrive 2 used in ONLY the Comp Cut mode (aka: clean boost with stupid DB output to slam your amp)
6) Plug into A Marshall/Mesa gained up
7) Humbucker Power with the cut of a Strat that is FAT. (NOT over compressed in any way)

https://www.ilitchelectronics.com/
https://www.suhr.com/pickups/single-coi ... e-pickups/

This will be your number one guitar that looks like a wolf in sheep's clothing.

A pic of my 56' with the Illitch plate installed.

Last edited by WGAFISHOME on Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

Fit and finish on the EBMM will be great. They are a quality company putting out quality guitars. Typically their necks are smaller, they are very comfortable to play and well balanced. People either love them or hate them...(hate is probably a strong word but you get the idea).

The Gibson guitar will be hit or miss. Each guitar by any maker is unique so it isn't realistic to have a good year vs a bad year overall. I believe it was 2012 when the rich lite boards were thrown on but they have stopped doing that on what you are looking at. I would imagine the Gibson will be heavier and probably not as comfortable ergonomically. If you are not used to playing Les Pauls it may feel clunky. If you are then you are familiar. The Les Paul neck will definitely be bigger and not as flat as the larger radius EBMM. Fit and finish on a Gibson is a toss up, no matter the price point. There are ways to help with the tuning issues Gibson are known for. The biggest issue that you can correct is the nut. If you have a quality nut cut properly and lubricated (unless it is Tusq XL, then not necessary as they are self lubricating material) then most of your tuning problems are resolved with some big bends nut sauce on a bone nut. The Gibson headstock angle puts a lot of tension on the nut. If you wind your g-string bottom to top on the tuning peg instead of top to bottom that helps. The fanned string pull can be alleviated with an aftermarket product if you wish to go that route. The EBMM will have straight string pull and much flatter headstock angle so 99.9% of tuning issues are alleviated.

If the Les Paul is where you are leaning, I would make sure it plays well and rings out nicely acoustically. If the Low E is dead acoustically or kind of thuddy sounding then in my experience it isn't what I am looking for. Does the guitar resonate well acoustically against your body? Does it resonate well when you hit a chord and grab the headstock? Same with the body in various spots. If it does not, then the guitar is nothing special. An old timer (luthier and builder) taught me how to find good guitars and have taken his advice and stayed away from any duds. If it sounds good acoustically it will sound good plugged in.

Hopefully you are able to play both guitars. I would buy a EBMM sight unseen. I would NEVER buy a Gibson sight unseen.

Post what you are considering and I can help further. Good luck! I hope you find the guitar of your dreams!!
WGAFISHOME
Recruit

Post by WGAFISHOME »

RockyStar wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:28 pm Fit and finish on the EBMM will be great. They are a quality company putting out quality guitars. Typically their necks are smaller, they are very comfortable to play and well balanced. People either love them or hate them...(hate is probably a strong word but you get the idea).

The Gibson guitar will be hit or miss. Each guitar by any maker is unique so it isn't realistic to have a good year vs a bad year overall. I believe it was 2012 when the rich lite boards were thrown on but they have stopped doing that on what you are looking at. I would imagine the Gibson will be heavier and probably not as comfortable ergonomically. If you are not used to playing Les Pauls it may feel clunky. If you are then you are familiar. The Les Paul neck will definitely be bigger and not as flat as the larger radius EBMM. Fit and finish on a Gibson is a toss up, no matter the price point. There are ways to help with the tuning issues Gibson are known for. The biggest issue that you can correct is the nut. If you have a quality nut cut properly and lubricated (unless it is Tusq XL, then not necessary as they are self lubricating material) then most of your tuning problems are resolved with some big bends nut sauce on a bone nut. The Gibson headstock angle puts a lot of tension on the nut. If you wind your g-string bottom to top on the tuning peg instead of top to bottom that helps. The fanned string pull can be alleviated with an aftermarket product if you wish to go that route. The EBMM will have straight string pull and much flatter headstock angle so 99.9% of tuning issues are alleviated.

If the Les Paul is where you are leaning, I would make sure it plays well and rings out nicely acoustically. If the Low E is dead acoustically or kind of thuddy sounding then in my experience it isn't what I am looking for. Does the guitar resonate well acoustically against your body? Does it resonate well when you hit a chord and grab the headstock? Same with the body in various spots. If it does not, then the guitar is nothing special. An old timer (luthier and builder) taught me how to find good guitars and have taken his advice and stayed away from any duds. If it sounds good acoustically it will sound good plugged in.

Hopefully you are able to play both guitars. I would buy a EBMM sight unseen. I would NEVER buy a Gibson sight unseen.

Post what you are considering and I can help further. Good luck! I hope you find the guitar of your dreams!!
I FULLY agree that you should never buy a Gibson if you cannot hold and play it. NO matter what.

Yes, Les Pauls are NOT the most ergonomic guitars, especially sitting down and playing. This is why I don't play them myself but I own 3 of them.
When you get a FEATHER weight Les Paul the ergonomics all change for the better, really better. Hard to find such a beast but if you do you will understand.

As a guitar player we must all own at least '1' Les Paul in our playing life to understand what all the fuss is about.
mrdowntown
FNG

Post by mrdowntown »

ok so... other than the hit/miss tuning issues that sometimes come with LP's
1. the lightness of the board is a bit of a turn off. not sure if its the lighting or just not oiled... could just be a very light color
2. the lemon burst... i actually like it. not as much as say iced tea or whatever its called. i'm not a huge cherry-burst guy

i am totally on board with owning at least one LP... and this one has me on the fence. it checks A LOT of the boxes. would def try it out best i could before dropping coin.

as far as the weight, ergo, etc..i'm not too concerned with that part. i've got a LTD ESP Skolnick...sort of the poor-mans LP, if ya will. super fun guitar, heavy as all fuck at about 10.5 lbs, got the fatter Lp-ish neck.

LP asking price $3200

the EBMM just looks fucking amazing...especially that roasted neck/fretboard. just cant get it out of my mind. i'm very confident in the fit/finish/stabiltiy et al..so that is not a concern. honetly,,,,just dropping 2800 on a brand new one of these is my leaning direction ATM.
Actually looking at this one here: https://reverb.com/item/40693901-ernie- ... tar-g99947
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

mrdowntown wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:57 pm ok so... other than the hit/miss tuning issues that sometimes come with LP's
1. the lightness of the board is a bit of a turn off. not sure if its the lighting or just not oiled... could just be a very light color
2. the lemon burst... i actually like it. not as much as say iced tea or whatever its called. i'm not a huge cherry-burst guy

i am totally on board with owning at least one LP... and this one has me on the fence. it checks A LOT of the boxes. would def try it out best i could before dropping coin.

as far as the weight, ergo, etc..i'm not too concerned with that part. i've got a LTD ESP Skolnick...sort of the poor-mans LP, if ya will. super fun guitar, heavy as all fuck at about 10.5 lbs, got the fatter Lp-ish neck.

LP asking price $3200

the EBMM just looks fucking amazing...especially that roasted neck/fretboard. just cant get it out of my mind. i'm very confident in the fit/finish/stabiltiy et al..so that is not a concern. honetly,,,,just dropping 2800 on a brand new one of these is my leaning direction ATM.
Actually looking at this one here: https://reverb.com/item/40693901-ernie- ... tar-g99947
Those are two very different guitars.

Regarding the Les Paul's fretboard color you can get a dye from Stew Mac that will darken it right up and make it look natural and it won't smudge off on your fingers. It's a little trick a lot of folks do to get a dark fretboard. A light or dark fretboard has no bearing on tone. Color is personal so if you like the color and top then its all good. I still wouldn't be surprised if the Skolnick had better fit and finish...lol.

The EBMM looks like a nice ride for what it is. I gravitate towards other guitars and am not much of a strat guy at all. For that amount of money you have a lot of options in the superstrat type guitar realm. That neck is gorgeous! WOW!!
WGAFISHOME
Recruit

Post by WGAFISHOME »

mrdowntown wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:57 pm ok so... other than the hit/miss tuning issues that sometimes come with LP's

LP asking price $3200

All good points above.

If you believe you'll automatically play the EB and make good use of it 'now' you should go that way.

If money grows on trees get both obviously.

If you're okay about the Lemon top the board can be 'stained' dark which is easy today by an experienced luthier. Oiling a board DOES NOT darken it. It will look dark when moist but when it dries off it'll still be the same light color.

If the weight is 8.5lbs or less at $3,200 is a good buy provided you stain the board. The lighter the Les Paul the easier it is to play plus it will sound louder and ring longer...............fact.

I know a guy in NY who can stain and he's real good at it. Where are you?
mrdowntown
FNG

Post by mrdowntown »

I appreciate the help gents. (I'm in NC btw)

i had (all but) made my mind up on going with the EBMM. then perusing the local CL i happened upon that LP and i stopped dead in my tracks.

the ONLY thing that draws me to the LP, is that notion of "i got to have a LP". i get it...its a piece of American guitar/music history, and IMO, that's important. the comment above about the fit/finish of the skolnick being comparative to the LP, is likely dead-on. not a thing in the world wrong with the Skolnick. It sounds good, plays good, stays in tune, sustains, although a little on the heavy side it hangs nicely (weight distribution is good for me), it's quiet.

What drew me to the EB was a couple things. as previously mentioned, the neck and board are so sexy (really can't stop thinking about it). and secondly, i recently obtained a USA Pro II Strat from a buddy that was in need of some cash. i sold it a couple months after reliving him of it... just wasn't my color. but wow...what a great playing guitar. It was quiet, kept tune even with those crazy high bends. it was a SSS, and sounded really good (played it a lot through a SLO model on Headrush/power amp/212 w/25w greenbacks. so having that made me want a strat/strat style, but maybe a little nicer and def in a color i dig.

unfortunately $$ doesn't grow on trees for me....wish ta'fuck it did :D and i need to make a decision.

The LP is over an hour away, which is problematic; it's an hour in a direction that i don't go much at all. and trying to test it out, and be comfortable with it within a few minutes... meh, that can be tough. 3K is bunch of money for this ole'boy to throw down on a guitar. and not be 100% sure.

The EB will be brand new...manuf warranty (whatever that may be worth), it'll come to my door, and it will look exactly like i want.

decisions :lol:

thanks again guys...appreciate you letting me ramble on
Last edited by mrdowntown on Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.