Fair Warning !

Post by PLX »

I just got this here shit in da mail today :!:

:lol:
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Re: Fair Warning !

Post by harddriver »

I just do it the old fashion way when using dropped D but I imagine it would be more convenient with the D-tuna on the fly...... ;) 8-)
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:28 am I just do it the old fashion way when using dropped D but I imagine it would be more convenient with the D-tuna on the fly...... ;) 8-)
I think I've finally got this thing fine tuned.

:?

So, after several hours of playing around with it I can get the "in" position to be slightly sharp and the "out" position to be slightly flat. The is the best balance I've been able to achieve with the D-Tuna.

It's not enough that you can tell by ear, but I can see it happening on my tuner.

All in all, it's great to be able to go from E♭ to C# at the flick of a switch :!:
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

PLX wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:30 am
So, after several hours of playing around with it I can get the "in" position to be slightly sharp and the "out" position to be slightly flat. The is the best balance I've been able to achieve with the D-Tuna.

It's not enough that you can tell by ear, but I can see it happening on my tuner.

All in all, it's great to be able to go from E♭ to C# at the flick of a switch :!:
I always crank up my E string fine tuner and then compensate with the neck tuner with the nut unlocked then lock it down that way I always have plenty of travel on the fine tuner to go from E to dropped D with the fine tuner only without have to unlock the nut. I'm not playing live so I don't need an on the fly setup but the Dtuna always seemed like it worked well.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:18 pm I always crank up my E string fine tuner and then compensate with the neck tuner with the nut unlocked then lock it down that way I always have plenty of travel on the fine tuner to go from E to dropped D with the fine tuner only without have to unlock the nut. I'm not playing live so I don't need an on the fly setup but the Dtuna always seemed like it worked well.
The manufacturer has a sequence they want you to follow to set it up.. I skipped a couple of steps because I just wanted to slap the thing on there and see if it was gonna work for me. :P

I'll put on a fresh set of strings today (one of the steps I skipped :oops: ). It definitely solves the issue for me personally of just not wanting to fuck around and play any tunes in drop D because it was a hassle.

I'm learning a bunch of drop D stuff I always wanted to learn now. :mrgreen:
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

So today I got around to actually using the whammy bar while the D-Tuna was in the "dropped" position..

Weirdest fucking thing was happening.. Whenever I pressed the bar down about 1/3 of it's travel, the D-tuna would pop back in. Not all the way, but about maybe 1/3 of the way back in, enough to totally fuck up the tuning.

I Googled this phenomena and found nothing. Like this never happens to anyone else using a D-Tuna on a Floyd :?:

So I looked at the hardware and the thing that was pulling (pushing) the D-Tuna sleeve back in was that little spring that goes over the string locking screw. First, I tried switching between the longer and the shorter of the two locking screws... no effect.

I came to the conclusion that the spring had to be cut down, so I started clipping off 1/2 a rotation of the spring, reinstalling everything and testing.

Finally, when I got about half of the little spring chopped off, it stopped doing that. :lol:
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

Finally sorted all all the issues with the "new" system I'm using on this guitar.

The Floyd Rose is "decked". I accidentally found the original trem stopper that I used to have on this guitar - it's about twice the mass of the one I bought off Amazon a month ago and installed. Same design (brass L-shaped slotted block with threaded screw-drive that contacts the brass sustain block and locking screw. Just beefier and better build quality.

Got the D-Tuna figured out. Works great for going from Eb to C# at the flick of a switch.

Solved the tuning issues while using the tremolo bar by tuning all the strings about 1/4 step flat, then locking the nut and making final adjustments with the fine tuners on the bridge.

I can drop the bar till the strings are slack, come back to decked position and all strings are perfectly in tune- whether in drop C# or Eb tuning.

Good times ! :lol:
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

That's cool you got it worked out. More contact evenly across the tremblock is better in my opinion. ;)

Sounds like you finally got your Dean tweaked to do Ed and NUNO.....ya gotta be pleased with that......... 8-)
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:23 am That's cool you got it worked out. More contact evenly across the tremblock is better in my opinion. ;)

Sounds like you finally got your Dean tweaked to do Ed and NUNO.....ya gotta be pleased with that......... 8-)
Yeah, here's the one I ordered off Amazon about a month ago and installed:

and here's the one I "found" in a box of random guitar parts:

Much better tone due to the beefy-ness of this old one (that was in this guitar a long time ago) :roll:

To get the tremolo to feel right, I had to add a third spring and then let the spring claw come out from the cavity about 1/4"

I can do 1-1/2 step bends or unison bends and the bridge does not move, but it's easy to depress the bar and make the strings go flat.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »