Vintage MXR Flanger..........Incoming........

harddriver
Grand Poobah

Re: Vintage MXR Flanger..........Incoming........

Post by harddriver »

If it had worked fine today and for the next few days I would have to have kept it and tried to fix it but since it was doing this the day I received it I have to believe it was doing it before shipping it to me so that is slightly misrepresenting it's working condition.

It has a new Sprague filter cap on the power supply which was one of the reason I go this one, maintenance. Kinda bummed but I think it's better to return it while I can.... It seems to only do the faint popping when the flanger is switched out of the circuit...kinda weird.... :roll:
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

The FLanger effect was definitely better than my EVH flanger.........BUT THAT POPPING......................... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I can' take it............ :?
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:31 pm It seems to only do the faint popping when the flanger is switched out of the circuit...kinda weird.... :roll:
You can fix that with a 1M resistor. Easy fix !

HD, find the SAD-1024 trimpot.

It's there to allow you to dial out that clock noise you're hearing. Those things drift over time.

It's one (or perhaps both) of these here:

harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

It's not a footswitch single pop when bypassing. When the pedal is bypassed the faint pop is constant... every single second and you hear it in the audio signal like a static pop, pop,pop,pop,pop,pop,pop,pop,pop,pop,pop,pop,pop,pop,pop,pop,pop,pop,pop,pop......I think you get my point.

I don't want to start turning pot inside this thing then I own it. If it had worked fine then I would have dealt with it if it happned after the 30 day 30 second warranty ran out.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:51 pm It's not a footswitch single pop when bypassing. When the pedal is bypassed the faint pop is constant... every single second and you hear it in the audio signal like a static pop, pop,pop,pop,pop,pop,pop,pop,pop,pop,pop,pop,pop,pop,pop,pop,pop,pop,pop,pop......I think you get my point.

I don't want to start turning pot inside this thing then I own it. If it had worked fine then I would have dealt with it if it happned after the 30 day 30 second warranty ran out.
That's "clock noise". Well known issue with those units.

Those trimpots are calibrated during final test. They drift over 20~30 years.

That's your call, bro. I understand you may not wanna get into fixing this unit.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

Ok, I PM'ed a buddy who helps me out with pedal circuits.

He says this is the trim-pot used to balance the outputs of the two paths through the bucket-brigade-device for maximum clock cancellation.

Might be your fix, if for whatever reason you wind up stuck with this unit (or even the same issue with a future unit you may acquire).
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

Thanks for the information PLX it is much appreciated but I have no way to know if this is exactly the problem unless I start futzing with it and them I'm committed to keep it. I kind of feel he should have disclosed this issue and the footswitch shorting out(going bad) to be honest, that didn't just start either. I'm sure he will try denying it saying somehow it magically must have just started doing that once I touched it.

I don't want to be stuck with a $200.00 paper weight again like 1985................ :roll: :x

I explained everything nicely and asked for a refund. Maybe all the vintage ones do this for all I know...but it seems everyone on Reverb all say they all work great with no issues.........WTF! :o :evil:
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:26 am Thanks for the information PLX it is much appreciated but I have no way to know if this is exactly the problem unless I start futzing with it and them I'm committed to keep it. I kind of feel he should have disclosed this issue and the footswitch shorting out(going bad) to be honest, that didn't just start either. I'm sure he will try denying it saying somehow it magically must have just started doing that once I touched it.

I don't want to be stuck with a $200.00 paper weight again like 1985................ :roll: :x

I explained everything nicely and asked for a refund. Maybe all the vintage ones do this for all I know...but it seems everyone on Reverb all say they all work great with no issues.........WTF! :o :evil:
Was the Reverb listed tagged "as is - no returns" ?

I know on a lot of the older gear they will do that (I do it myself with those 20~30 year old pedals).
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

The only thing in the description was "SOUNDS GREAT" Nothing about as is no returns.

This is in the payment return section of the posting.

Payment Options
This seller accepts the following payment methods:
Reverb Payments (Credit Cards & Reverb Gift Cards)
PayPal
Affirm Financing
Return Policy
This product can be returned within 7 days of receipt.

Full Return Policy

General Terms
Items must be returned in original, as-shipped condition with all original packaging and no signs of use. Buyer assumes responsibility for all return shipping costs unless the item was not received as described.

Refunds
Buyer receives full refund in their original payment method less any shipping costs.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:46 am The only thing in the description was "SOUNDS GREAT" Nothing about as is no returns.
If you're stuck with it (and I hope not!) I will send you this footswitch.

I never used to step on the switch as this pedal used to be part of my core tone - it was just always on.

It tests good. If you want it, I'll drop it in a padded mailer and send it out with tracking. :geek: