lll
Middle Manager

68 Plexi + Catalinbread Naga Viper WS

Post by lll »

with a touch of Soundtoys Microshift

Charvel SoCal w old JB

It's everyone's favorite riff :lol:

(not going for album tone here)

The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Re: 68 Plexi + Catalinbread Naga Viper WS

Post by harddriver »

I'm surprised the NAGA sound fit with the Lynch tone........Very cool!

Is it set radically different than how you dial in for Iommi tone?
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

harddriver wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:40 am I'm surprised the NAGA sound fit with the Lynch tone........Very cool!

Is it set radically different than how you dial in for Iommi tone?
When I do Iommi stuff (80's DIO era, not Ozzy), I'm typically using a PAF type pickup (either Seth Lover, or the "PAF on stereoids" SH-5).

These have a slightly scooped midrange and "notched honk" that seem to me to be in the Iommi ballpark (80's DIO era).

This was my old JB of course (more mids). But I did dump a hair of 500Hz in the DAW. But there's more mids here, like George does with his Tube Screamer boosting.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

It's a little grindier with a harder edge breakup compared to a tubescreamer but it still sounds good which surprised me.
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

harddriver wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:30 am It's a little grindier with a harder edge breakup compared to a tubescreamer but it still sounds good which surprised me.
I don't know what gear Geo. used on that particular tune, just know that in Dokken he did favor the Tubescreamer.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

I always thought it was known that he used a tubescreamer into the Aspen Pittman Purple Marshall and SLO for Wicked Sensation. I could be wrong but that what I seem to remember. :roll: :?
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

lll wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:46 am I don't know what gear Geo. used on that particular tune, just know that in Dokken he did favor the Tubescreamer.
Was he running it in front of the amp ?
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

PLX wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:52 pm
lll wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:46 am I don't know what gear Geo. used on that particular tune, just know that in Dokken he did favor the Tubescreamer.
Was he running it in front of the amp ?
According to George's original official website (georgelynch.com - you'll have to use the internet wayback machine to see the older version website):
signal routing was more simplistic than presented here. As Lynch explained it at the time, "I use an old Ibanez Tube Screamer or a Boss GE-7 to preamp my amps a little. Other than that, I don't use pedals except an A/B switch to throw on another guitar. I go stereo out of a Lexicon PCM-41 with 28 milliseconds of delay to fatten up my rhythms." Also pictured here two Rocktron HUSH II-C's to keep things quiet on both sides of stereo application. A Rockman Distortion Generator was used to push the signal a little more to the power section. Used in A/B switching, there is also a Rockman X100-B in a Rockmount for a chorused clean signal. While using the clean alongside the high gain in an A + B application in tandem, Lynch describes the sound as "giving it a a bit of a shimmer and percussion" to the rhythm guitar parts.

As mentioned, Lynch used an old Ibanez Tube Screamer or the BOSS GE-7 to preamp his amps. Above is the TS-808 that has been present for most of Lynch's recording career, as was used during the 1985 recording of Dokken's "Under Lock And Key" album.
pedals.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.