Hey Mang Women Hater tone

harddriver
Grand Poobah

Re: Hey Mang Women Hater tone

Post by harddriver »

PLX wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:52 pm [
It's the one in the picture.

Honestly, I spent like 2 hours last night A/B ing that speaker with the Celestion Vintage 30 without changing anything ells..

The Vintage 30 just sounds a lot better to me. Prolly has a lot to do with the difference in gear I'm using between what Nuno used on those early records.

The G12H 55Hz 30 watt just has thing grating sound on the high end.
Ok speaker showdown it is...post the HMWH clip with the 12H-30 and then post the same clip with the Vintage 30 speaker and we'll see which one wins out. That is the best you've gotten the 12H-30 to sound for NUNO though.... ;)
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:08 pm Ok speaker showdown it is...post the HMWH clip with the 12H-30 and then post the same clip with the Vintage 30 speaker and we'll see which one wins out. That is the best you've gotten the 12H-30 to sound for NUNO though.... ;)
I dunno..

I just don't hear that fizzy, grating sound in Nuno's clips. The Vintage 30 just has that squishy, feel.. I don't know.

BTW, I'm loving the Neve 1073 EQ on the guitar tracks !

High Pass at 80Hz, cutting 2dB @ 700Hz, and boosting 2dB @ 12kHz.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

PLX wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:13 pm
harddriver wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:08 pm Ok speaker showdown it is...post the HMWH clip with the 12H-30 and then post the same clip with the Vintage 30 speaker and we'll see which one wins out. That is the best you've gotten the 12H-30 to sound for NUNO though.... ;)
I dunno..

I just don't hear that fizzy, grating sound in Nuno's clips. The Vintage 30 just has that squishy, feel.. I don't know.

BTW, I'm loving the Neve 1073 EQ on the guitar tracks !

High Pass at 80Hz, cutting 2dB @ 700Hz, and boosting 2dB @ 12kHz.
I agree the NEVE EQ has a nice clarity to it. Swap that speaker on the HMWH clip with the V30 and then post the clips side by side so we can hear them back to back and decide which one is more NUNO....... :lol: 8-)
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:16 pm I agree the NEVE EQ has a nice clarity to it. Swap that speaker on the HMWH clip with the V30 and then post the clips side by side so we can hear them back to back and decide which one is more NUNO....... :lol: 8-)
The Neve 1073 seems to be much more powerful (I guess that's the right word) than the Pultecs..

The Pultecs are very subtle in what they do. The Neve is very deliberate.

It only takes a minute adjustment of any band on the 1073 to get a dramatic result.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

I don't hate the 12H-30 at all, it has some more mids and high mids/highs slightly more present and it seem more raw sounding.

The Vintage 30 is a little smoother, mids seem about the same not mid heavy like alot of people say about vintage 30's(MID SPIKE) and the highs seem more pleasant.

Both speakers have nice bite to them and both sound good but the Vintage 30 does seem more appealing. :?

So yeah... with your setup the Vintage 30 really does shine for NUNO............ 8-)

That Neve is doing good things for your NUNO tone........See... even Ed's recording chain is not good for NUNO! :lol:
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:22 am I don't hate the 12H-30 at all, it has some more mids and high mids/highs slightly more present and it seem more raw sounding.

The Vintage 30 is a little smoother, mids seem about the same not mid heavy like alot of people say about vintage 30's(MID SPIKE) and the highs seem more pleasant.

Both speakers have nice bite to them and both sound good but the Vintage 30 does seem more appealing. :?

So yeah... with your setup the Vintage 30 really does shine for NUNO............ 8-)

That Neve is doing good things for your NUNO tone........See... even Ed's recording chain is not good for NUNO! :lol:
Yeah, none of the Ed stuff works for pretty much anything else. :lol:

I tried using the API-550 and the Pulteq EQ's for the Nuno stuff, and that wasn't sounding good either. The Fab Filter Pro Q3 was neat because it would make a "tone match" of an isolated guitar track and allow you to use that on as your EQ.. but it always added waaaay too much low end.

The Vintage 30 breaks-up sooner(easier) so I dialed back the "DISTORTION" on the RAT pedal about one click, and it got rid of a lot of extraneous noise and cleaned up the tone a bit.