Teh Snorkler

Post your amp/pedal/guitar/etc builds here
PLX
Executive

Re: Teh Snorkler

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:09 pm Yeah.......so I fat fingered the last 0 in 1000pf so sue me........... :lol: :lol: Sheesh............ :roll:

I've seen that layout orientation(which is on the Muzique calculator page) of high pass low pass filtering before for pedal circuits I've just usually always seen people using the plate snubber cap or the .001uf or other value caps going to ground off of the coupling caps off of V1A or V1B in a Jose mod ala Cameron. Thank goodness he was able to put me in my place about a typo though I will forever be grateful........ :oops: :D

When I was digging into my notes looking for that elevated heater info I cam across my schematic of the Bogner Ecstasy OD channel which I loosely used to base my 4 gain stage amp around as well as the SLO and Splawn. If you want the schematic to compare to the Snorkler I'll send it. It might be interesting to look at how he went from Snork to Ecstasy design wise.
I ignored it, because it had nothing to do with the question at hand.

There are a lot of miserable people on those sites, and they live for posting snarky shit like that. It's like the old saying goes, "Misery loves company." :lol:

I had already gotten a useful answer anyways from a member there who is always helpful and magnanimous.

Looks like if I use the 180V tap off the toroidal PT, and change that 220K resistor to 333K I can achieve an elevation of 58V - which will be damn near perfect :!:

harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

So I see the 220K and a 10K B+ rail dropping resistor but no voltage divider to provide adjustment of the node point for your 58DCV. I see the 220K tapping 2W tapping DCV then feeding your 100K/100K faux center tap back into your 6.3 AC V heater wiring.

So instead of raising or lowering the voltage divider leg to ground to adjust you are just raising or lowering the 220K feed resistor to the faux center tap 100K/100K resistors then....Ok I think I see what you are doing... I guess that works just as well as the voltage divider method. 8-)

I'm just used to using the voltage divider method so pardon me for looking at this from my vantage point of what I have used in past. :oops:

FWIW Camron always recommended tapping the elevated heater DCV voltage from the screen filter cap which is what I tend to do but I seen Spiderwars tapped his at the PI filter cap which was interesting.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

It looks like it works on paper...implement the plan design then adjust from there. 8-)
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:46 pm So I see the 220K and a 10K B+ rail dropping resistor but no voltage divider to provide adjustment of the node point for your 58DCV. I see the 220K tapping 2W tapping DCV then feeding your 100K/100K faux center tap back into your 6.3 AC V heater wiring.

So instead of raising or lowering the voltage divider leg to ground to adjust you are just raising or lowering the 220K feed resistor to the faux center tap 100K/100K resistors then....Ok I think I see what you are doing... I guess that works just as well as the voltage divider method. 8-)

I'm just used to using the voltage divider method so pardon me for looking at this from my vantage point of what I have used in past. :oops:

FWIW Camron always recommended tapping the elevated heater DCV voltage from the screen filter cap which is what I tend to do but I seen Spiderwars tapped his at the PI filter cap which was interesting.
The two 100Ω resistors would normally be tied to ground at their junction point, but in this scenario they go to the 30µF / 100KΩ RC network to the elevated ground reference created by the 220KΩ (changing to 333KΩ) resistor. Which - mathematically - should elevate the ground reference from 0V to 58V.

ymmv :D
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

Ok I see it now... :oops: the 100K 2w and the 30uf/450V filter cap in the middle of your layout drawing going to ground is the other leg of the voltage divider DUH... it was staring me in the face...... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: Quick... you better notify Mr. Snarky............................. :lol:

Wire it all up Mr. PLX and go from there.......................... ;)
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:51 pm Ok I see it now... :oops: the 100K 2w and the 30uf/450V filter cap in the middle of your layout drawing going to ground is the other leg of the voltage divider DUH... it was staring me in the face...... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: Quick... you better notify Mr. Snarky............................. :lol:

Wire it all up Mr. PLX and go from there.......................... ;)
It fucked my head up to try to figure this out. :?

So many different diagrams, none of them complete. Just showing bits and pieces of the schematic.

I had to basically keep drawing it out by hand and posting it and going, "Is this right ?" before I got the circuit.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

Your faux center tap gave me some tunnel vision............................. :lol: :oops:
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

More on that network creating a high pass filter into V2a..

Looking back from the 470p, there is 120k in series, and then a 1M to ground, the 330k plate load, and the nominal 63k plate resistance of the 12AX7. Those last three are in parallel since they go to AC grounds (B+ or actual ground). You can ignore the 47n (it's 100x the 470p), and you can ignore the Rk of the preceding stage (it's bypassed). Lastly there is the 91k to ground. Putting all that together the equivalent resistance is 330k//63k//1M + 120k + 91k = 261k. Using that and 470p in 1/(2πRC), you get 1.297kHz.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

PLX wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:44 pm More on that network creating a high pass filter into V2a..

Looking back from the 470p, there is 120k in series, and then a 1M to ground, the 330k plate load, and the nominal 63k plate resistance of the 12AX7. Those last three are in parallel since they go to AC grounds (B+ or actual ground). You can ignore the 47n (it's 100x the 470p), and you can ignore the Rk of the preceding stage (it's bypassed). Lastly there is the 91k to ground. Putting all that together the equivalent resistance is 330k//63k//1M + 120k + 91k = 261k. Using that and 470p in 1/(2πRC), you get 1.297kHz.
So it's attenuating all frequencies above 1.29khz at a 3 db slope or a 6 db slope if I remember what you stated earlier! I wonder if it is more subtle sounding than say the 1000pf cap on the 330K plate resistor which has a corner frequency of 482.5 HZ or sometimes people put a .001uf cap right off the preamp tube lug to ground....I think the Chupacabra does that. I 've also used and seen Cameron Jose run a .001uf cap off of the V1A coupling cap on the pot side of the board to ground attenuating highs as well.

At 1.29 Khz must basically be for parasitic oscillations essentially. The human ear stops at 20,000 HZ. Funny it looks like Reinhold never used the same scheme in his Ecstasy preamp if my schematics are correct????? It is interesting for sure. 8-)
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

DId you give up on SNorky?