Your favorite pickup company for your style of playing?

RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Your favorite pickup company for your style of playing?

Post by RockyStar »

For the Heavies, I am happiest with Bare Knuckle for newer company (though well established). Duncan has some greats as well as does Suhr.
PLX
Executive

Re: Your favorite pickup company for your style of playing?

Post by PLX »

Man, that has changed so much for me over the decades..

I used EMG-85s and 81s back in the late 80's to mid 90's.

Used a set of P-90 "soapbar" pickups in my 1965 Gibson that I had Seymour Duncan custom wind for me back in the 90's. Those pickups are retarded-hot for single coils. :twisted:

Used a DiMarzio Super Distortion for a while.

Built a couple of "Hybrids" by taking apart various Duncans and mixing/matching coils and magnets.

I've had quite a few "High Order" brand custom-winds over the past 15 years, or so.
Watson503
Middle Manager

Post by Watson503 »

My favorite all-around would be Seymour Duncan - I dig EMG's for actives and my needs but I had a pair of SD Blackouts and loved those things! I've always wanted to try some Bareknuckles out but haven't ever done so, I wanted to try some Elysians out but then found out the dude who makes them is a big woketard so screw that...I'm fine with some DiMarzio SD's or an SD JB in the bridge of whatever I've got, though.
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” - George Orwell

"Polyphia SUCKS!!!" - Ronald Reagan
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

I think a lot of it depends on what you play musically and what guitar(s) you use. Some guitar brands come equipped with the latest and greatest pickups that their products are positioned to sell to. Others companies seem to just throw something in that work "ok" for everything and call it a day. If you don't fit into that mold their could be a potential "problem" or need to switch pickups either way.
lll
Middle Manager

Post by lll »

Seymour Duncan mostly myself. Too bad their forum is infested with a small cadre of poseur hacks who think they own the place... and are scaring away all the real guitarists and everyone else with their douchebaggery and clueless "advice".

Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB, SH-5 Custom, SH-55 Seth Lover set, SH-10 Full Shred set - are the ones that do it for me.

Bare Knuckles - have a VHII bridge that kicks ass (but isn't the 1st album pickup... more like the 2nd album)

Callaham H/SRV single coil set - best singles in the world IMO

Had Jeff from HighOrder (Jeff, myself and few select others split off from Plexi Palace forum and made our own forums back in the day) custom wind me some PAFs that were impeccable.
Last edited by lll on Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

I'm still a big Seymour Duncan guy after trying just about every other boutique manufacturer over the last 12 years. I never dabbled in EMG's always stayed with passives.

Here's where I ended up:

Duncan 78 model- In my Franky for VHII and general all round EVH, 2009 wound by MJ
Mighty Might 1400(9K)- SPecifically for VH1
Duncan-Seymourizer II(12.5K) for all around rock, EVH to metal, it's similar to a L500XL/DImarzio SD but nice low end but still tight with a great crunch and bite, this pickup will do it all IMHO.
Duncan-Custom Shop Holdsworth model double screw 17K ohm wound to Jake E Lee Specs by MJ in 2009. In my Jake Whitey Charvel build.

I also have a B&B L500L and L500XL and the Wes Hauch Jupiter pickups to go into my last fiddle build, If i ever get it done! :roll: