Why? Why Not?

AXE FX, Kemper etc
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Why? Why Not?

Post by RockyStar »

Why use a modeler? Why not? The same can be said for an amp. Instead of being on a particular side, why not see them all as a tool for a filling a need?
lll
Middle Manager

Re: Why? Why Not?

Post by lll »

Technology to clone tube amps digitally is ~98% there.

I use both real and digital with equal tonal success.
The Democratic Party is a criminal organization and the enemy within of the United States of America.
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

It's getting better all the time.

I can still "feel" the difference playing in the room with a real amp vs. a modeler.

But once it's recorded I defy anyone to tell the difference.
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

PLX wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:00 am It's getting better all the time.

I can still "feel" the difference playing in the room with a real amp vs. a modeler.

But once it's recorded I defy anyone to tell the difference.
How much difference do you notice if you are in an isolated room (like a control room) where the amp and cab are in another location? For me, I can tell no difference unless I am right in front of the amp and cab. Even then, if things are tweaked properly, it is virtually impossible to tell in the room in some instances for me. YMMV
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

RockyStar wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:36 pm How much difference do you notice if you are in an isolated room (like a control room) where the amp and cab are in another location? For me, I can tell no difference unless I am right in front of the amp and cab. Even then, if things are tweaked properly, it is virtually impossible to tell in the room in some instances for me. YMMV
I'm in my little 10'x10' home studio.

You can feel the difference. I find it difficult to describe it, but it's more of the way it feels while playing rather than how it sounds.

Once recorded, good luck telling the difference. :D
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

PLX wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:01 pm
RockyStar wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:36 pm How much difference do you notice if you are in an isolated room (like a control room) where the amp and cab are in another location? For me, I can tell no difference unless I am right in front of the amp and cab. Even then, if things are tweaked properly, it is virtually impossible to tell in the room in some instances for me. YMMV
I'm in my little 10'x10' home studio.

You can feel the difference. I find it difficult to describe it, but it's more of the way it feels while playing rather than how it sounds.

Once recorded, good luck telling the difference. :D
Agree....the feel thing is definitely an interesting thing. I can dial my Kemper and make profile adjustments to where it feels more like the amp the profile is from in addition to simply profiling the amp and stopping there. When I do this in detail, it is almost impossible to tell. Some amps more so than others oddly. Take the "sound" into another room from where you are playing and it is even harder to tell (for me). For me the sound being in proximity to where you are playing does something with how my brain processes the feel. They both seem to work together somehow. When I do notice any differences it is in the picking hand and the dynamics that coincide with that and not the overall sound.