Covered vs. Uncovered Pickups

RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Covered vs. Uncovered Pickups

Post by RockyStar »

What is your preference?

In most scenarios I prefer a cover. I also dislike the company name being visible on the pickups.

While I admit there is a slight sonic difference between covered and uncovered and even between metal type on covered pickups, I still prefer covered in most instances.
Monkey Man
Office Gopher

Re: Covered vs. Uncovered Pickups

Post by Monkey Man »

I'd have thought that plastic covers wouldn't affect tone seeing as they theoretically shouldn't interfere with magnetic fields and flux.
American computer (Mac), American DAW (DP), American audio & MIDI interfaces (MOTU), American guitars & basses, Kemper Rack, ROMplers
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

Monkey Man wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:09 am I'd have thought that plastic covers wouldn't affect tone seeing as they theoretically shouldn't interfere with magnetic fields and flux.
My bad, I failed to mention I was referring to humbuckers. I am not much of a traditional single coil or p90 guy. On humbuckers, the metal material can change things. Nickel vs gold vs. uncovered. The gold will effect things most. Nickel effects the least.
Monkey Man
Office Gopher

Post by Monkey Man »

Yeah, I was imagining HB's with plastic covers.
American computer (Mac), American DAW (DP), American audio & MIDI interfaces (MOTU), American guitars & basses, Kemper Rack, ROMplers
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

Monkey Man wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:23 am Yeah, I was imagining HB's with plastic covers.
Call me crazy but I am not sure I have ever seen a humbucker with a plastic pickup cover. :o
Findthetone1
Office Gopher

Post by Findthetone1 »

RockyStar wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:02 pm
Monkey Man wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:23 am Yeah, I was imagining HB's with plastic covers.
Call me crazy but I am not sure I have ever seen a humbucker with a plastic pickup cover. :o
Aren’t EMG covers plastic?
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

Findthetone1 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:58 pm
RockyStar wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:02 pm
Aren’t EMG covers plastic?
That doesn't count, they are actives.
Monkey Man
Office Gopher

Post by Monkey Man »

Yup, that 'splains it Brother Rocky.

I was imagining Magnetic, EMG, Bartolini and so on, PU's I'd used on geetars and basses in the past, all of which were actives.
harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

I tend to prefer non covered humbuckers. I've tried nickel covered a few times and just couldn't shake the feeling like the metal covers were contributing to oscillations/ring in the pickup feedback quality like the pickup was either more dampened or less dampened depending on how you looked at it.

I've also played a Suhr Aldrich gold covered in a Les Paul and it was a pretty ripping pickup in that guitar but in my guitars I'm still uncovered that in my guitar stable right now.

Probably is just a mental block thing... but it's what I perceived nonetheless. :lol: :roll: :geek:
Monkey Man
Office Gopher

Post by Monkey Man »

Sounds legit to me brother.

If you felt you perceived "oscillations/ring in the pickup feedback quality" or whatever, perhaps you did, and as Rocky implied and any clear-thinking mind might conclude, it makes no sense to use materials that affect magnetic fields and flux unless there's a specific effect you're aiming for.