Any Multi Instrumentalists Here?

Yakk about your gear
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Any Multi Instrumentalists Here?

Post by RockyStar »

I assume most of us play guitar. Who plays other instruments and what do you play?
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Re: Any Multi Instrumentalists Here?

Post by RockyStar »

I will kick this off...

Drums
Bass
Hack Piano Player AT BEST
Could do some backing vocals, not a proper professional singer by any means.
psychodave
FNG

Post by psychodave »

Skin flute, Male Organ, Hairy Bag Pipes, :lol:

I originally played piano and alto saxophone. My parents bought me a beautiful piano. Then when they got divorced that shit was sold. Hahahah. I had moved onto guitar by that point. They hated that I played guitar too. Then when I turned like 18 I bought a 71 Super Lead then a few months later a 67 Plexi. No master volumes… I’d play cranked with a DOD Preamp 250 out front. My dads house would shake. My hearing took a hit too. A few years ago I had a hearing test. Doctor knew right away I played guitar. When he asked if I had tinnitus I said yes, since I was 18. He was shocked. Said he has patients with it in their 60’s who have traumatic stress because of it. He asked me how I cope and I told him I ignore it. It’s fine until someone talks about it. So right now I can hear it. :lol:

End of rolling rant.
Monkey Man
Office Gopher

Post by Monkey Man »

Same here, Dave!

Had it since I was about 13. I only became aware of it today as soon as you mentioned it. Thanks man. :lol:

Bass, keys, vox & geetar... in that order, although I wish it were reversed.
Songwriter, AE & "producer". :lol:
American computer (Mac), American DAW (DP), American audio & MIDI interfaces (MOTU), American guitars & basses, Kemper Rack, ROMplers
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

Anybody else?
sytharnia NZ
Recruit

Post by sytharnia NZ »

yep. Guitar, Bass, keyboard at a pretty average level (not good average haha), a little violin and Cello. Can play drums if other musos are in the room to bounce off, but can't play along to track by myself all that well
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Post by RockyStar »

I really want to get a pedal steel rig and mess around with that. I have never had more fun sounding terrible in my life than when playing one!
CoolGuitarGear
Team Leader

Post by CoolGuitarGear »

Just about anything stringed... mandolin, steel lap, bouzouki, keys (piano/synth), Theremin, jaw harp. The last three are not stringed. In regard to Theramin... I have one that you can program to be in any key or scale, so that you don't hit a wrong note... the 'sensitivity' on that is broad, but I tend to keep it pretty locked in. Amazing how a twitch of the finger can create different notes or even get off key.

Not saying I'm good at anything... I tend to be better at composition than playing. Makes me wonder how many composers (e.g., Mozart) could play all the instruments (well) in which he did concertos for. He hated the flute, but his flute concerto is fabulous. I'm thinking he hummed a tune in his head and could write the flute part, as opposed to actually play it.
Last edited by CoolGuitarGear on Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoolGuitarGear
Team Leader

Post by CoolGuitarGear »

psychodave wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:15 am My hearing took a hit too. A few years ago I had a hearing test. Doctor knew right away I played guitar. When he asked if I had tinnitus I said yes, since I was 18.
I have tinnitus, but I never played loud and never liked loud music (became a noise to my ear)... even when listening to 'heavy' music.