More confirmation of my Bandmaster Theory about VH1....

harddriver
Grand Poobah

More confirmation of my Bandmaster Theory about VH1....

Post by harddriver »

We've talked about Ed reamping 12301 with Fender Bandmasters live and possibly in the studio for VH1. My first piece of evidence is the 1978 Selland Arena show.

Now I came across this clip of a 1969 Fender Bassman boosted by a Tubescreamer and a Gibson SG. Now imagine this amp reamping a line level signal from 12301(SLAVED) and do you get what you hear in the Selland Arena show. I postulate the answer is YES.....

PLX
Executive

Re: More confirmation of my Bandmaster Theory about VH1....

Post by PLX »

I've done it with a 1964 Fender Princeton I rebuilt.

The entire build thread is back on TGP : https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... p.2024174/

There's no speaker output.. I built a resistive load and used a Jensen audio transformer for an isolated line-out signal.

So, what you're doing is using a "clean" Fender amp as your pre-amp into the Marshall.

The only real change I made to the 6G2 circuit was to remove the tremolo portion of the circuit (which leaves one of the 12AX7 halves unused).

harddriver
Grand Poobah

Post by harddriver »

That sound really good.. I take it that was the Fender preamp in to the front end of a Marshall plexi in that clip?

That is a cool concept making the Fender circuit the preamp stage to the Marshall but I think I still maintain that in 1977-78 more than likely ED was using 12301 definitely variaced down possibly completely loaded down to a load box or just variaced down for some volume control but in either case used the Fender Bandmaster as the power amp to the speaker cabs. You see them on the stage at the Selland Arena show all 4-5 of them all on as well as the Marshalls on the left side of the Bandmasters.

To my ears this Selland show has all the hallmarks of what we heard on VH1 only it's live with no studio magic.

Could it be Fender bandmaster first into 12301, that's a toughie...... My ears tell me it's 12301 first then Bandmaster. I liked what your clip sounds like though.

There is a 69 bandmaster on CL and I keep telling my self I don't need another amp.......... :lol:
PLX
Executive

Post by PLX »

harddriver wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:17 pm That sound really good.. I take it that was the Fender preamp in to the front end of a Marshall plexi in that clip?
It's going line-out into my 2203.
harddriver wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:17 pm That is a cool concept making the Fender circuit the preamp stage to the Marshall but I think I still maintain that in 1977-78 more than likely ED was using 12301 definitely variaced down possibly completely loaded down to a load box or just variaced down for some volume control but in either case used the Fender Bandmaster as the power amp to the speaker cabs. You see them on the stage at the Selland Arena show all 4-5 of them all on as well as the Marshalls on the left side of the Bandmasters.
Yeah, I variac my 100W amp down to 89VAC. Re-biased plate disspation, of course.

harddriver wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:17 pm Could it be Fender bandmaster first into 12301, that's a toughie...... My ears tell me it's 12301 first then Bandmaster. I liked what your clip sounds like though.
Well, this idea comes from some obscure Ed lore, where he said he hooked-up the speaker on the Bandmaster to the external speaker jack.. not the speaker jack.

Back around 77~78 I accidentally stumbled upon the same phenomena with this very Fender Princeton.. I was running an external speaker cabinet along with the combo speaker in the amp. I disconnected the external cab and left the internal speaker connected to the external speaker jack. Nothing connected to the "speaker jack".

It sounded fucking awesome :!: Saturated, gainy tone.

But back in those days I used to sit on the little combo amp cabinet while I played (no guitar chair :D ) and while playing with the speaker connected this way, I noticed the amp got hotter than hell under may ass. :lol:

I figured I'd better stop doing that, since the Princeton was the only amp I had, and my dad would have killed me if I burned it up doing something stupid like that.