Are we stuck in a rut?

Yakk about your gear
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Are we stuck in a rut?

Post by RockyStar »

When it comes to speakers I feel guitar players are too unwilling to change and branch out from the Greenback and Vintage 30 umbrella and use other choices that are available. The more time goes on the more I realize speaker choice, mics and mic placement are far more impacting on sound than amps.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love amps but I am also interested in new things as well. I also love 4x12 cabs and am going to try more cabs and speaker choices out and see what I can come up with. The convenience of IR's has been a help and opened me up to various ideas and possibilities. I think there must be a lot of cool tones to discover for various songs, music types and inspiration awaiting us if we can ever break through the traditional habits we have formed. Vintage 30's and Greenbacks are great, I take nothing away from them by any means BUT I do think there is more and am curious to find it.

Anybody else feel this way or am I the only gear whore/ tone chaser shifting focus?

:lol:
sytharnia NZ
Recruit

Re: Are we stuck in a rut?

Post by sytharnia NZ »

Honestly the whole speaker thing is such an expensive rabbit hole to go down that I got about a foot down it and bailed :lol: .. Not only do speakers make a huge difference but also no to cabs sound the same so if speakers sound great in one cab they may not sound the same in other cabs. And then you also have the problem of if you change heads/amp then the speakers you have that sounded great with your old amp, might not sound great with the new one
I use to go to a lot of "gearfests" and listen to what other guys we using and did some online research and found speakers that seem well balanced for what I like and I stopped there. I found some old UK celestion G85s (which are now called K100) and I blend them with some Blue Marvel peavey speakers ... sits about right where I want my tone.

At this point I find regardless of what I play through it still sounds like it is me playing so can't really see the point chasing tone anymore
RockyStar
Grand Poobah

Re: Are we stuck in a rut?

Post by RockyStar »

I understand what you are saying. Almost all cab manufacturers stuff their cabs with Vintage 30's or Greenbacks. I agree no two speakers or cabinets are identical so I am thinking of throwing different speakers in some of my duplicate cabs to get a little something outside the ordinary. The typical old formula has become a bit stale to me so curiosity has me wanting to try some different things to see what I can come up with.